[comp.graphics] No SIGGRAPH '91 Bowl

kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (04/24/91)

I just got the registration package for SIGGRGAPH '91.  It seems that they have
decided not to have a bowl this year.  Does anyone know why not?  Is there
someone we can all write to to try to talk them into changing their minds?  The
bowl last year was one of the best parts of SIGGRAPH '90 and it sure would be
fun to see another one.

Michael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in

bcorrie@csr (Brian Corrie) (04/24/91)

kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) writes:
>I just got the registration package for SIGGRGAPH '91.  It seems that they have
>decided not to have a bowl this year.  Does anyone know why not?  Is there
>someone we can all write to to try to talk them into changing their minds?  The
>bowl last year was one of the best parts of SIGGRAPH '90 and it sure would be
>fun to see another one.

>Michael

I wouldn't mind seeing another one as well. Go TEAM CANADA Go  8-)   8-)

>--
>Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
> kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in
>  @eecs.nwu.edu | the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be
>                | lost in time - like tears in rain. Time to die.     Roy Batty

                  Brian Corrie (bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca)
Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature,
volume, humidity and other variables, the organism will do as it damn well
pleases. Sounds like some of the code I have written......  8-)

jk87377@cc.tut.fi (Juhana Kouhia) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.140738.6875@eecs.nwu.edu> kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu
(Michael L. Kaufman) writes:

>Is there someone we can all write to to try to talk them into
>changing their minds?

There is Dear Sirs at SIGGRAPH91.SIGGRAPH@Xerox.com
For other siggraph addresses, please mail to me.

Juhana Kouhia

erich@eye.com (Eric Haines) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.140738.6875@eecs.nwu.edu> kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) writes:
>I just got the registration package for SIGGRGAPH '91.  It seems that they have
>decided not to have a bowl this year.  Does anyone know why not?  Is there
>someone we can all write to to try to talk them into changing their minds?

We just saw Pat Hanrahan (who organized it last year) and he said that
hopefully one will occur next year.  Pat joked that generating questions and
organizing things and whatnot was more time consuming than any real work he
did that year.  I can imagine:  questions like "What are the 3 most heavily
referenced SIGGRAPH papers by other SIGGRAPH papers?" must take a heck of a
lot of page flipping and counting, and that's just one question.

Eric Haines (one of the losers on Team Ithaca - hey, what can I tell ya, we
    were one of two teams from a town of 30,000, compared to the winners
    representing an entire first world nation...)

fournier@cs.ubc.ca (Alain Fournier) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr26.153404.6432@eye.com> erich@eye.com () writes:
>Eric Haines (one of the losers on Team Ithaca - hey, what can I tell ya, we
>    were one of two teams from a town of 30,000, compared to the winners
>    representing an entire first world nation...)

At Siggraph Bowl there are no losers, just people who disgraced themselves
in front of thousands, and sorely disappointed their friends, colleagues
and admirers.
And maybe Canada is slightly larger than Ithaca (if you inlude Yukon and
the Northwest Territories), but look at how many Siggraph papers come
from Ithaca compared to from Canada (I won't tell you how many, it might
come up on the next Siggraph Bowl).