[comp.graphics] Eurographics'91 Registration Fee

ksung@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Kelvin Sung) (04/25/91)

I just realize that the registration fee for Eurographics'91
is about US$600-, if one wishes to attend a tutorial or two the
cost goes up to about US$900-US$1000! What surprises me is that
there is no special rate for students. How can the European students
afford this?

Europe (or Vienna) must be a really expensive place.  Consider the
student registration fee for SIGGRAPH (Las Vegas) is US$130-,
for Graphics Interface (Calgary) is about US$80-, and for
Computer Graphics International (Boston) is US$180-.
With the more expensive traveling cost (I mean from the US)
I was hoping the registration fee for the conference will be
lower so that I will be able to afford it.

Well, guess I have to starve for a couple of month or so to attend
the Eurographics ... and this is the really awful part .. this will be
my first (and, hopfully not, but, probably only) visit to Vienna and
I will not be able to afford to do much while I am there!

Kelvin Sung
Department of Computer Science
1304 W. Springfield Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801

ksung@cs.uiuc.edu
--

edwin@cwi.nl (Edwin Blake) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr24.171244.16367@m.cs.uiuc.edu> ksung@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Kelvin Sung) writes:

>I just realize that the registration fee for Eurographics'91
>is about US$600-, if one wishes to attend a tutorial or two the
>cost goes up to about US$900-US$1000! What surprises me is that
>there is no special rate for students. How can the European students
>afford this?

Well nobody from Eurographics seems in a hurry to respond in public --
which is probably not such a surprise to Mr. Sung.  (I think the figures
may be a bit high, perhaps more like $450 for the conference and $625 -
$785 with tutorials.  Still far too high).  Students in Europe cannot
attend.

I was told that I was Eurographics' first student member and in 1987 I
managed to get a 60% (unadvertized) discount to Eurographics -- I did
present a paper though.  Today I help organize some activities for the
society: so I suppose that is my qualification for commenting.  It
should at least be said that many of us feel the organization should
become more responsive to its constituency.  After some campaigning
Eurographics does now provide funds to support active student
participants at its workshops.

The positive side is of course that Eurographics exists at all!  There
is a great deal of volunteer effort.  I believe that the conferences are
completely in the hands of the local volunteer organizers.  For this
conference they (the Austrians) offered scholarships to eastern european
citizens -- that was their choice & their priority.

The negative side is that the Eurographics "leadership" is a bit of a
closed shop, getting things done involves deals that are cut in smoke
filled sessions (insiders know!).  Fittingly the Eurographics elections
are on the basis of the candidates' social & academic standing, not on
any programme of what they intend doing for members.

But things might be changing.  In response to pressure (and the ending of
an existing contract I must add :-) I am told that the proceedings
(which ordinary members who don't attend the conference do not get at
the moment), will soon become part of the society journal, Computer
Graphics Forum which everybody gets.  (Forum by the way is a good
example of what Eurographics does well -- a good journal with very fast
publication -- done on a volunteer basis).

The next step is properly informed contested elections.  And then we
should do something about that deadline for papers which is much too
early: a month before SIGGRAPH and the conference is a month later.

>Europe (or Vienna) must be a really expensive place.  Consider the
>student registration fee for SIGGRAPH (Las Vegas) is US$130-,
>I was hoping the registration fee for the conference will be
>lower so that I will be able to afford it.
>Kelvin Sung
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>Department of Computer Science

Your only hope is that the dollar keeps on going up -- or that you get
offered a private behind the scenes deal by eurographics ...

Edwin Blake, edwin@cwi.nl   	Phone: +31 20 5924009
Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)
Department of Interactive Systems,
Kruislaan 413,  1098 SJ  Amsterdam,  The Netherlands