[net.cooks] Beef jerky

deb (08/06/82)

#N:uicsovax:2500007:000:688
uicsovax!deb    Aug  4 09:38:00 1982

i copied this from a "locally written" (local=tuscon, i think) cookbook
a few months ago.  i've never tried it, but would like to know if it's any
good from anyone who might try it.

Beef Jerky:

one 2-3 lb. flank steak
soy sauce
lemon pepper

slice steak very thinly while it is still partially frozen.  lay meat
strips in shallow pan and cover with 16-20 oz. soy sauce.
sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper; let marinate 24 hours.
spread strips on cookie sheets.  bake at 150-200 degrees for 8-10 hours
(overnight).
cool and store.

(note -- i've often wondered if a better method of drying the meat would
be to leave it under a sunlamp for 12-24 hours ??)

pur-ee!uiucdcs!uicsovax!deb

ignatz (10/10/82)

I can't remember who, but somebody asked for it. This isn't the best I've
got, just the one I found while cleaning out my rooom.

				Beef Jerkey

Ingredients:

	1		Round Steak (cut into 1" strips)
	2	Tblsp.	Salt
	1	cup	water
	1/2	cup	"Liquid smoke" (Skip if you can smoke beef overnight)
	1/4	tsp.	Tabasco sauce

Method:

Soak meat overnight. Smoke in a smoker until proper consistency, or dry
on racks in oven, at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

lyons@ittral.UUCP (Charles Lyons) (07/17/84)

	Here's a recipie for making beef jerky relatively quickly.  Hope you
        enjoy it as much as I have.

                                  BEEF JERKY
                                 ____________

                                  INGREDIENTS

                            2 lbs. Breakfast Steak
                            Brine Solution

                                   PROCEDURE

            Place the steak in a glass baking dish and fill  with  brine
            solution.   Marinate  the steak in the brine solution for 24
            hours in the refrigerator.

            Rinse the excess brine off the steak.

            Cut the steak into 1 inch strips.  Slow dry the meat in  the
            oven  @ 150 degress for 2-4 hours (depending on thickness of
            steak).  Place the meat on a broiler rack and finish  curing
            in the refrigerator for 1 week.

            *** OPTIONAL ***

            Before  drying  the meat in  the  oven, smoke the meat in  a
            grill for  about  10 minutes.

                                   BRINE SOLUTION
                                   ______________

                                    INGREDIENTS

                  4 Cups Water                1 Tbs. Sugar
                  1 Tbs. Black Pepper         1/2 tsp. Celery Seed
                  1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder      1/2 tsp. Sage
                  1 1/2 tsp. Pickling Spice   1/2 tsp. Season All
                  1 Slice Onion               1/2 Cup Salt

                                     PROCEDURE

            Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring  the  solution
            to  a  rolling  boil.   Cover and simmer the solution for 10
            minutes.

	P.S.  Breakfast steaks don't have to be used, round steak works
	      well and so does a beef roast.  Just slice the meat about
	      1/4 inch thick.

	P.P.S. If anyone is interested, I've also got the recipies for
		traditional methods of making jerky, pemmican, smolked
		salmon, and country ham.

						enjoy,

					Charles Lyons, ITT Raliegh

phil@sdcsvax.UUCP (07/20/84)

Try using flank steak instead of "breakfast steak".
Slice it against the grain and then soak in marinade,
in the refrigerator, overnight.  Dry it very slowly on a rack
in the oven at a low temp.

Other good marinades for Beef Jerky include terriaki sauce,
soy sauce, red table wine or any combination.

If you are carefull and trim off all the fat, the stuff lasts
over a week without refrigeration, great for camping trips!

A camping favorite tested on many backpacking trips:
Prepare ramen noodles as usual and then add small chunks of
your homemade jerky.

Phil Cohen

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (05/06/85)

Does anybody out there have a recipe for beef jerky.  You can no
longer buy the "real" stuff in stores (with a few exceptions like
Meadow Farms in	Bishop,	CA), it's all "chopped and formed", YUK!

Also can you use different meats like chicken to make jerky.

		-Thanks-

/<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>\
^									   ^
v   Pete Bellas		    "When it is not necessary to make a decision,  v
^   Citicorp TTI	     it	is necessary to	not make a decision."      ^
v   Santa Monica, CA		    Lord Faukland			   v
^									   ^
v   Path: ...!{randvax | trwrb | philabs | vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!bellas	   v
\<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>/

unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) (05/09/85)

> Does anybody out there have a recipe for beef jerky.  You can no
> longer buy the "real" stuff in stores (with a few exceptions like
> Meadow Farms in	Bishop,	CA), it's all "chopped and formed", YUK!
>
> Also can you use different meats like chicken to make jerky.

  I don't know if you can use other than beef in this recipe but I've very
good results with :

                       BEEF JERKEY

  1 flank steak ( approx. 1 1/2 lbs)
  1 Teaspoon hickory smoked salt
  1 Teaspoon liquid smoke
  1/3 Teaspoon garlic powder
  1/3 Teaspoon pepper
  1 Teaspoon Accent (monosodium glutamate)
  1 Teaspoon onion powder
  1/4 Cup Worcestershire sauce
  1/4 Cup Soy sauce (or BETTER teriyaki sauce)

Trim off all possible fat. Semi-freeze the meat, it is easier to slice
this way. Slice meat with the grain into 1/8 inch slices or as thin as
you can get it.

Marinate overnight in shallow glass dish, cover meat thoroughly with
sauce and spices.

Lay strips of marinated meat in a single layer on oven racks. Place
cookie sheet of foil underneath to catch drips (or be ready to CLEAN
the oven right after). The drying process really depends on your oven

The instructions given to me: With oven door open a crack, set oven at
lowest possible temperature 125-140 degrees and leave in oven for 8-12
hours.

With the gas oven at my mom's (circa 1949) I found that turning the oven
on for a half hour then off for a half hour with the pilot light on
(with the demise of pilot lights this may not help you) then on again
off again worked best. Remember you are trying to dry the meat not just
cook it.

Looking back I can see concerns about the amount of salt showing up. All
I can suggest is to try reducing the amounts somewhat. (it doesn't bother
me, i have LOW b.p and eat salt to keep it up!)

--

             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

                   "there's a unicorn in the garden and he's eating a lily"
                    gatech!dcc1!unixcorn

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (05/10/85)

> > Does anybody out there have a recipe for beef jerky.
> >
> > Also can you use different meats like chicken to make jerky.
>
>   I don't know if you can use other than beef in this recipe but I've very
>   good results.
>
>   Remember you are trying to dry the meat not just cook it.

You'll be extremely lucky if you get anything palatable following the
instructions for drying given in the recipe that followed in that article.

DON'T use an oven to dry your jerky. Do it as the Indians did, by hanging it
on little drying racks outside in the sun. When I was doing jerkey, I made a
little cage with wire screening to keep the flies out, and just let it
hang outside for a week or so.

The reason for this is that you are not trying to cook it at all. You're
just trying to dry it!

My own recipe was very similar to the one posted, except I don't remember
any soy or teryaki sauce. Also, I like it a little hotter than the posted
recipe, so my marinade used a quarter jigger of Tobasco instead of the
pepper in the recipe.

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (05/11/85)

> Does anybody out there have a recipe for beef jerky.  You can no
> longer buy the "real" stuff in stores (with a few exceptions like
> Meadow Farms in	Bishop,	CA), it's all "chopped and formed", YUK!
>    Pete Bellas

I own a Luhr Jensen Little Chief smoker.  Basically, it is a tin box with
racks inside and a heater on the bottom.  You put wood chips into a little
pan that comes with it, and put the pan on the heater.  It's just hot enough
to make the wood smoulder.  I highly recommend this product; it works well
and is easy to use.

I have had *great* success with the following recipe, which comes from the
cookbook that comes with the smoker.  The result is ***FAR SUPERIOR*** to
any jerky you can buy, and it costs a lot less.

"Little Chief" Beef and Game Jerky

Marinade/Brine in

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt (I use kosher salt.  Table salt measures differently.)
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
1 cup red wine
1/2 tsp onion powder (I have used chopped or pureed onion to good effect)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I have used minced garlic)
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce

Trim all fat from meat.  Slice meat with the grain about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch
thick.  The meat slices nicely when semi-frozen, or your butcher will slice it
for you in his machine.  Place meat in the cool marinade and leave overnight,
or for no less than 8 hours.

Remove from brine and allow to air dry without rinsing.  Smoke in your "Little
Chief" for 12 to 16 hours, depending on how dry you like your product.  Use 3
panfuls of Hickory or Cherry "Chips 'n Chunks" (Note: this is Luhr Jensen's
brand of wood chips for smoking) in the early stages of the drying cycle.

Notes:  The Little Chief isn't very big, so it's hard to make a lot of jerky
at one time.  When I want to make lots of jerky, I make hooks out of bent
paper clips, and hang the meat from the top of the rack.  You can get a lot
of meat into it that way.

Also, see my posting about types of wood (and other things) to use for
smoking.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (05/12/85)

> > > Does anybody out there have a recipe for beef jerky.
>
> You'll be extremely lucky if you get anything palatable following the
> instructions for drying given in the recipe that followed in that article.
>
> DON'T use an oven to dry your jerky. Do it as the Indians did, by hanging it

I used to make beef jerky in an electric oven with no problems.  A
gas oven may not be as good.  The palatability was determined by the
fact that the batches never lasted more than a day.
--
	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	The Ohio State University

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (05/16/85)

In article <605@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>DON'T use an oven to dry your jerky. Do it as the Indians did, by hanging it
>on little drying racks outside in the sun. When I was doing jerkey, I made a
>little cage with wire screening to keep the flies out, and just let it
>hang outside for a week or so.

It is strongly recommended by "most authorities" that you not sun-dry
anything within about 300 yards of a busy street (I.e., if you don't
live in the country, you lose).  The reason for this is that the food
will pick up lead from exhaust fumes (and you don't want to be eating
lead, do you?)

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired."

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/17/85)

>   When I want to make lots of jerky, I make hooks out of bent
> paper clips, and hang the meat from the top of the rack.  You can get a lot
> of meat into it that way.
> Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)

I don't want to come across as a fuddy-duddy doomsayer, and I may be
totally wrong about this, but I just thought I'd mention that it might
be worth looking into this use of "paper clips". It might cause no harm
at all, but I jeep thinking of the constant warnings I recall reading
about never ever using old refrigerator shelves as grills in improvised
or home-made bar-be-que or open-fire cookery. Those shelves were often
cadmium-plated, and people using them in this fashion got large amounts
of cadmium into the food, ingested it, and suffered various terrible
fates therefrom.

I seem to recall that paper clips are also cadmium-plated (at least some brands
or types), and, even if not, are made from some low-grade metals which might
have all sorts of contaminants or impurities, which in the usage described
above might leach into food.

Now, it may well be that using refigerator grills, where the metal was
directly exposed to flame and the maximum heat, is totally different than
this use of paper clips at the top of a smoker, away from the heat
source, and embedded in the meat. But I'd think twice about using paper
clips in this application, or in any cookery. Maybe you can find suitable
stainless-steel hooks at a restaurant-supply house, or fabricate some
from stainless-steel wire of suitable thickness? That might cost some $
but they should last forever...

I don't mean to sound pedantic or officious, but people who are seriously
interested in cooking are worth preserving! :-)

Regards,
Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA