[comp.graphics] Review wanted for Graphics Gems.

wwhy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/30/91)

Does anyone out there have any opinions or comments on the book "Graphics
Gems"?  I would appreciate if someone  could tell me if this book is worth
buying.  I have Foley&VanDan and was wondering if Graphics Gems had anything
in it that would be of interest.
					Thanks
					Bill

hollasch@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Steve Hollasch) (04/30/91)

wwhy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Bill) writes:
( Does anyone out there have any opinions or comments on the book "Graphics
( Gems"?  I would appreciate if someone  could tell me if this book is worth
( buying.  I have Foley&VanDan and was wondering if Graphics Gems had anything
( in it that would be of interest.

    I really haven't heard any bad opinions of the book; I HAVE heard a
lot of glowing praise though.  Personally, it's one of my favorite
graphics books.

    I recommend that you find a copy and and browse for a minute.  That
should convince you (sort of like eating M&M's).  I highly recommend this
book.

Steve Hollasch                /      Arizona State University (Tempe, Arizona)
hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu  /  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!noao!asuvax!enuxha!hollasch

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.195552.4343@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, wwhy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
|> Does anyone out there have any opinions or comments on the book "Graphics
|> Gems"?  I would appreciate if someone  could tell me if this book is worth
|> buying.  I have Foley&VanDan and was wondering if Graphics Gems had anything
|> in it that would be of interest.
|> 					Thanks
|> 					Bill

I've only heard good things about it.  It has lots of details that
any textbook necessarily has to gloss over.

BTW:  some time ago, someone mentioned a computer book club that was
offering 3 books for $5 when you join, and Graphic Gems and the
RayTracing book were available.  Could anyone tell me what issue of
what magazine that offer was in?

thanks,
Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	How much sin can I get away with and still go to heaven?

sw@mdavcr.UUCP (Scott Wood) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.173600.1385@fido.wpd.sgi.com> robert@sgi.com writes:
>BTW:  some time ago, someone mentioned a computer book club that was
>offering 3 books for $5 when you join, and Graphic Gems and the
>RayTracing book were available.  Could anyone tell me what issue of
>what magazine that offer was in?

I haven't seen one for both Graphic Gems & Raytracing, but the Feb '91
issue of Scientific American has an offer for the Library Of Science
that includes Graphic Gems. It cost me about $10 (canadian) including
shipping to get Graphics Gems and one other book on Chaos. (Graphics
Gems counted as 2 selections)

scott

Scott Wood  ...!uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!sw   sw%mda.ca@wimsey.bc.ca   sw@mda.ca