[comp.graphics] WIMP-interface

rkunenbo@cs.ruu.nl (Ronald Kunenborg) (05/01/91)

 Greetings.

 Over here in Holland I just heard about a WIMP-interface.
 Does anyone know what 'WIMP' means (I mean as an acronym:) ?
 If so, could you please E-MAIL me ? And if possible,
 please tell me where I can find it (literature, book).

 Thank you very much,

--
 Ronald Kunenborg,  Victoriestraat 3,  3815 ML Amersfoort,  The Netherlands
                        (rkunenbo@praxis.cs.ruu.nl)

             "If we must die, let it not be like hogs...

rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu (Randy M. Rohrer) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May01.123307.2147@cs.ruu.nl> rkunenbo@cs.ruu.nl (Ronald Kunenborg) writes:

> Over here in Holland I just heard about a WIMP-interface.
> Does anyone know what 'WIMP' means (I mean as an acronym:) ?
>--
> Ronald Kunenborg,  Victoriestraat 3,  3815 ML Amersfoort,  The Netherlands
>                        (rkunenbo@praxis.cs.ruu.nl)

        "WIMP interface" is a general term used to describe the
the interaction style of many of today's user interfaces.
WIMP is an acronym for

       Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointing devices

Of course, the roots of such interfaces and the "desktop" metaphor
is usually credited to the pioneering work of people at Xerox PARC
(i.e. Xerox Star and earlier). Some of today's work in virtual reality
is an attempt to go beyond WIMP interfaces.

                                      Randy Rohrer

                                      rmr@tove.cs.umd.edu

rkunenbo@cs.ruu.nl (Ronald Kunenborg) (05/02/91)

THANK you, everyone who mailed me.
I know what it means now. You told me about fifty times :).

To summarize, I'll include the most detailed reply below.

Patricia M. Jones wrote:

>In the latest issue of the ACM SIGCHI Bulletin, there is an
>article about WIMP and NERD interfaces.
>
>	W = Windows
>	I = Icons
>	M = Menus
>	P = Pointers
>
>	N = Navigation
>	E = Evaluation
>	R = Refinement
>	D = Demonstration
>
>The full reference is:
>
>Chignell, M. H. and Waterworth, J. A. (1991).  "WIMPs and NERDs:  An
>	Extended View of the User Interface."  ACM SIGCHI Bulletin,
>	Volume 23, Number 2 (April), 15-21.
>
>Patricia M. Jones
>Center for Human-Machine Systems Research
>School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
>Georgia Institute of Technology,  Atlanta, GA 30332-0205

Thanks again, everyone!