[comp.graphics] Novice Mac scanner questions

pln@egret1.stanford.edu (Patrick L. Nolan) (05/10/91)

I would like to impose on the net for advice about scanners and
associated software.  I'm thinking of getting a scanner for my Mac.
I have two applications in mind:

 A.  Reading tables of numbers, names, etc. and putting them in
 machine-readable form.

 B.  Copying line drawings and graphs to be used in computer-published
 documents.

Neither of these requires color or much grey-scale capability.
My questions relate to three different areas:

1.  Hardware.  There seem to be two different types of scanners
that might do the job:  hand-held ones for about $300 and flat
beds for about $1400.  A hand-held model should work OK for
application A, but what about B?  If the figure I want to work
on is too big, can software patch it back together from two pieces?
Would it be OK to reduce large originals with a copying machine?
If my hand shakes while using a hand-held scanner, can the machine
compensate?

2.  OCR software.  What's the state of Mac OCR software?
What's the probability that I'll be able to recognize the
text from a randomly-chosen book or journal article?
Can programs be trained?  Do scanners generally come bundled
with OCR?  Is there one program that is clearly better than the rest?

3.  raster-to-vector software.  To make the best use of the
drawings (application B), I would like to have software to
convert the scanned bitmaps to a vector representation.
What programs are there to do this sort of thing?
--
*   Patrick L. Nolan            (415)723-0133                 *
*   W. W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory (HEPL)       *

Patrick.L..Nolan@p0.f13.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Patrick L. Nolan) (05/11/91)

Newsgroups: comp.graphics