[comp.graphics] 3D File Formats

cmp7131@sys.uea.ac.uk (M. Plumtree) (10/23/89)

During the time I have been reading this group I have seen many references to
GIF, TIFF, IFF, FBM and so on, but I have not seen mention of any standard 3D
object information files.

My question is, are there any (reasonably) standard file formats for 3D objects
out there, and if so, what are there specifications. I am writing a program to
manipulate 3D objects, and I would like the files I produce to be compatible
with some standard, for easier interchange.

If I receive enough mail on the subject, I shall summarize.

-Matt

Matt Plumtree   --   cmp7131@uk.ac.uea.sys  or  cmp7131%sys.uea.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
     cmp7131%sys.uea.ac.uk@UKACRL   or   cmp7131%sys.uea.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
"We like to make peoples' ears bleed" - Dr. Alien
                                     I disclaim all knowledge of any diclaimer

brian@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (10/25/89)

/ hpfcdj:comp.graphics / cmp7131@sys.uea.ac.uk (M. Plumtree) /  4:16 am  Oct 23, 1989 /

>My question is, are there any (reasonably) standard file formats for 3D objects
>out there, and if so, what are there specifications. I am writing a program to
>manipulate 3D objects, and I would like the files I produce to be compatible
>with some standard, for easier interchange.

    Well, the US Department of Commerce came up with IGES, a *very* complete
standard for 2-d and 3-d (Do you want to specify Young's modulus for your
quadratic solid?  No problem!).  The specification is 500 pages long, but
fortunately if all you want to do is create IGES files (as opposed to read them
in general and display them), you only have to read a small piece of it.  Try
calling information in Washington D.C.

    If you have ftp access, albanycs.albany.edu has a few 3-d objects and a 3d
specification, but I'm not sure how common that specification is.

Brian Smokefoot              "... never knowing I could shape my life
brian@hpfcbdr.HP.COM         like the artist paints his dreams
                             on a canvas." - Minor Detail

stoker@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (Andrew Stoker) (05/12/91)

Are there any agreed upon file formats for 3D graphics, eg. representation of
lines, surfaces, objects etc etc.  If so, what are they, and where can I
obtain documentation on them?  Reply either here or by e-mail.

  Thanks,
    Andy.
--
UUCP:     ..!uunet!nsf.ac.uk!tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk!stoker      "Time is an illusion
BITNET:   stoker%tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk@UKACRL                       Lunchtime

pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Paul David Bourke) (05/13/91)

stoker@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (Andrew Stoker) writes:

>Are there any agreed upon file formats for 3D graphics, eg. representation of
>lines, surfaces, objects etc etc.  If so, what are they, and where can I
>obtain documentation on them?  Reply either here or by e-mail.

A few months ago I wrote a summary of some CAD interchange file formats.
There is a copy of that summary that can be FTPed from
   ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (130.216.1.5)
it is in the
   /mac/architec
directory. It is a MS WORD 4 document, if you don't have access to a Mac
and Word let me know and I will arrange something you can handle? RTF?