[net.cooks] Gazpacho

cw (06/20/82)

                                 Gazpacho

       Ingredients

       1 small onion, chopped
       1 large cucumber - peeled, seeded and sliced
       1 small bell pepper, seeded and diced
       3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
       3 eggs
       1/3 cup     olive oil
       1/4 cup     vinegar
       1 cup       tomato juice
       1-2 cloves  garlic
       2 Tbs.      lemon juice
       2 Tbs.      brown sugar
       1/4 tsp.    cayenne pepper
       salt
       1 tsp.      dill weed
       2 Tbs.      prepared mayonnaise
       4-5 large sprigs watercress

       Garnish:
       1 large, firm tomato
       1 bell pepper
       1 cucumber
       croutons
       watercress sprigs

       Notes

       Here's an odd Gazpacho: it's heated before it's chilled; the
       eggs set slightly, and the soup is much thicker and
       altogether more interesting for it.  [Try it without the
       sugar and use 1/2 tsp.  of cayenne or more if you can stand
       it.  Also a Cuisinart is invaluable for this recipe if you
       have one. - jal]

       Method

       Begin by pureeing (accent mark missing) all the vegetables
       in a blender, together with the eggs, oil, vinegar and
       tomato juice. (You may have to do half at a time, depending
       on the size of the container).  Add all the remaining
       ingredients except the mayonnaise and the watercress and
       empty it into a pot.  Heat very slowly, stirring constantly
       with a wire whisk, and simmer the mixture this way for no
       longer than 2 to 3 minutes.  Take it off the heat and
       continue stirring with the whisk occasionally as it cools.
       Add the mayonnaise and put back in the blender - at a high
       speed - for a very short time.  Pour into a tureen or
       serving bowl and chill.  Sprinkle the chopped watercress
       leaves over the top before serving.

       In a separate bowl, pass the garnishes: a firm red tomato,
       coarsely chopped; a bell pepper, coarsely chopped; a
       cucumber, seeded (but not peeled) and cut into cubes;
       possibly croutons sauteed in olive oil; and more watercress
       leaves.

       Notes

       This dish is absolutely fantastic.  I recommend making it
       the night before so that it has plenty of time to cool.  It
       is served cold and therefore can go right from the fridge to
       the table.  The book said 'serves 4 to 6' but i say it
       serves four.  It is a heavy dish that creeps up on you so
       don't let your guests eat too much or they will regret it
       later. - jal.

       Original source: The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas
       (which, by the way, is a very good cookbook).

       Jeff Langer (eagle!jal) gave me this recipe some time ago
       and asked me to submit it to the net.  Charles (eagle!cw)

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (07/10/84)

I have had some good luck with a recipe for gazpacho.  It is taken from
memory from Elena Zelayata's Mexican Cookbook.

					GAZPACHO

Wipe the sides of a large bowl with a cut clove of garlic.

Into the bowl, cut up one large can of ripe, whole tomatoes (the
tomatos, you nit, not the can - Understand that in recipes the
container stands for the contents.  Sheeesh, what a dope !!)  Be sure
to include the juice.  The tomatoes should be cut into small pieces.
Add about two cups of chilled tomato juice or V-8.  One should choose
good quality juice and tomatoes, since poor quality ingredients really
do make themselves known at this point.

Peel and chop 1-2 medium sized cucumbers, 1-2 green onions, and 1/2 a
bell pepper.  These should be small but not minced.  Add 1/3 cup of
good olive oil, 1 T vinegar, and several drops (perhaps, a lot) of
Tabasco sauce.  Correct the seasoning after tasting and chill.

The soup looks very nice by itself, but can be garnished with thin
slices of Haas avocados.  I wouldn't touch Fuerte avocados with the
proverbial ten foot pole.  They taste like water.  Green water, at
that.
--
				_
Peter Benson			| ITT Defense Communications Division

sharon@uw-june (Sharon M. Tuttle) (05/13/85)

Question: Does anyone have a good recipe for gazpacho?
I understand that Needless Markup --oops, Nieman Marcus--makes
a good mix for it, but it is too expensive....

Thanx!

   -Sharon Tuttle, U of Washington, Comp Sci

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (05/16/85)

Most gazpacho recipes are based on tomatoes, cucmbers, onions, stock,
and flavouring spices.  The following is a little different, but (I
think) terrific.

In a large frying pan melt 1 tbsp butter.  Sautee in this:
 1/2 cup diced leeks
 1/2 cup diced onion
 2   stalks celery, diced
 1   carrot, diced
 1/2 green pepper, diced (less if you don't like green pepper too much)
 3   finely chopped cloves of garlic

When lightly browned, reduce heat and add 1 can prepared consume and the
same amount of water (10 oz).  Also add 1 large can of tomatoes.  Purists
may at their discretion substitute 2 1/2 cups light beef stock and 12
medium tomatoes.   Stir in 3 oz of tomato paste.

Prepare a bouquet garni by tying in a piece of cheesecloth:
 1   bay leaf
 1/4 tsp fennel
 1/2 tsp basil
 3   coriander seeds
 2   whole cloves
 3   tbsp chopped parsley

Add this to the soup mixture along with 1/4 tsp salt and a dash of
pepper.  Bring the soup to a light boil and maintain for 1 to 2 hours
stirring occasionally.  Be very careful not to cook to fast in order
to avoid burning to the bottom of the pan.

When finished boiling, remove the spice bag, pour the rest into a
blender and run at high speed until very smoothly blended.  Chill
overnight in refrigerator.  About 3 hours before serving add 1/3 to 1/2
cup of sauterne and replace in fridge to set.  Adjust spices with salt
and pepper, pour into bowls and garnish with a sprig of parsley or a
paper thin slice of lemon.

Enjoy.

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (05/20/85)

<..>
   I recently had some gazpacho at a restaurant in San Antonio which had
chunks of avocado in it.  It was delicious!
--
                                   - joel

  "The only thing worse than a hacker is a hacker who's proud of being one."

ec120bgt@sdcc3.UUCP (ANDREW VARE) (05/27/85)

In article <60@uw-june>, sharon@uw-june (Sharon M. Tuttle) writes:
> Question: Does anyone have a good recipe for gazpacho?
> I understand that Needless Markup --oops, Nieman Marcus--makes
> a good mix for it, but it is too expensive....
>
> Thanx!
>
>    -Sharon Tuttle, U of Washington, Comp Sci

Sharon
Living quite near Mexico for my college career, and having sailed to
it's Riviera several time,s I can say that I have tasted several
excellent gazpachos, but alas cannot find an appropriate recipe
in my archives. The key here is finding good, fresh cilantro, that
is relatively immature when picked. Other key ingredients are:
     -fresh garlic
     -cucumbers
     -fresh dill
These are all in addition to tomatos, naturally. I wouldn't go with
a mix, for spicing, since you wind up having a lot less to say about
YOUR soup. Good time for gazpacho, summer is. Make sure you leave it
in the 'fridge for several hours before serving. Along with it you
might have tortillas (to soak up all the good stuff at the bottom)
and maybe a margarita or two ;-).
Andrew T. Vare