[comp.graphics] comp.graphics.interesting -- More discussion on fate of CG

woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) (05/13/91)

   I have been following these swells of support for news groups
without all the (how do I convert blah, or display blah on my VGA),
for quite some time.  There hasn't been enough momentum to actually
create lots of little groups, and I agree that we shouldn't stomp
all over comp.graphics as it exists.
   So my proposal is to create a moderated:
	comp.graphics.interesting

This would be a moderated version of comp.graphics for postings
about computer graphics:  3d math, ray tracing, animation, cad,
things people are working on, new books, and all that stuff.
It would not be for:  configuring PC/MAC/etc. hardware,
X11 (basic stuff belonging in comp.windows.x11), common file
formats, etc.
   In other words, just the _interesting_ stuff.
This sounds subjective?  Well it is, but I still believe in it.
Mainly, because I was around for net.humor, rec.humor, and
rec.humor.funny.  Now, I don't always agree with Brad about
the jokes he puts in rhf, but he does quite a good job overall.

   Who should moderate it?  Well there are plenty of net.gods
out there, that support comp.graphics anyway.  But if none of
them want to take the spot, I made the suggestion, and I'd
do it.  I really believe that we should make some effort to
create a place to talk about all the really neet stuff going
on in computer graphics these days, without all the noise
that is eroding away the group, despite educational efforts.

	John D. Woolverton, Video Bits
	woolstar@cobalt.caltech.edu

jsp@cs.ed.ac.uk (John Spackman) (05/14/91)

woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) writes:

>   I have been following these swells of support for news groups
>without all the (how do I convert blah, or display blah on my VGA),
>for quite some time.  There hasn't been enough momentum to actually
>create lots of little groups, and I agree that we shouldn't stomp
>all over comp.graphics as it exists.
>   So my proposal is to create a moderated:
>	comp.graphics.interesting

Unofortunately, names such as "comp.graphics.interesting" or
"comp.graphics.research" may well be attractive to first-time
news-ers looking for gurus to answer VGA queries.  I'm not sure
which "graphics" newsgroups are around in the US, but in the UK my
".newsrc" file contains the following:-

comp.graphics:
comp.graphics.digest:
alt.graphics.pixutils:
comp.graphics.visualization:
usrgroup.graphics:

Now, traffic on "comp.graphics.digest" is nill - perhaps this is
just a "phantom" group.  However, the name seems suficiently boring
for first-timers to ignore in preference to "comp.graphics.visualization"
or the apparent catch-all "comp.graphics".  May I suggest those of us
"in the know" take up this newsgroup [ better still, call it
"rec.basket_weaving" - that should put the casual users way off course ;^) ].

Just a thought

====JANET: jsp@lfcs.ed.ac.uk == ARPA: jsp%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk====
====John Spackman, Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Room 2417 JCMB,====
===The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ. Tel 031 650 5125===
--
====JANET: jsp@uk.ac.ed.lfcs == ARPA: jsp%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk====

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/16/91)

In article <10728@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> jsp@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (John Spackman) writes:
>woolstar@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John D. Woolverton) writes:
>>
>>   I have been following these swells of support for news groups
>>without all the (how do I convert blah, or display blah on my VGA),
>>for quite some time.  There hasn't been enough momentum to actually
>>create lots of little groups, and I agree that we shouldn't stomp
>>all over comp.graphics as it exists.
>>   So my proposal is to create a moderated:
>>	comp.graphics.interesting
>
>Unofortunately, names such as "comp.graphics.interesting" or
>"comp.graphics.research" may well be attractive to first-time
>news-ers looking for gurus to answer VGA queries.  I'm not sure
>which "graphics" newsgroups are around in the US, but in the UK my
>".newsrc" file contains the following:-
>
>comp.graphics:
>comp.graphics.digest:
>alt.graphics.pixutils:
>comp.graphics.visualization:
>usrgroup.graphics:

Maybe what we need, then is not add to comp.graphics, but rather to turn
alt.graphics.pixutils into comp.graphics.pixutils.  It doesn't have to be
moderated (who would want the job?), it just has to be carried everywhere
that comp.graphics is.
--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold