[comp.graphics] Ray Intersection, bspline surface of revolution

chet@netcom.netcom.COM (Eric Chet) (05/16/91)

Hello

     To all raytracing guru's.  I would like to ray trace a surface of
revolution.  Defined as a bspline curve revolved around axis V.  I
would like to do this without converting to a mesh.  My question is how
do I intersect my ray with a 2D slice of the revolved bspline curve?
Also the bspline should be defined by N control, points.

                    |.
                    | .
                    |  .
                    |  .
                    |  .
                    |   .
                    |    .
                    |    .
                    |    .
                    |  ..
                    |..
                    |________________________ U

Thank you in advance
Eric J. Chet -- chet@netcom.com

--
~
/**************************************************************************

stam@dgp.toronto.edu (Jos Stam) (05/16/91)

Eric Chet writes:

>     To all raytracing guru's.  I would like to ray trace a surface of
>revolution.  Defined as a bspline curve revolved around axis V.  I
>would like to do this without converting to a mesh.  My question is how
>do I intersect my ray with a 2D slice of the revolved bspline curve?
>Also the bspline should be defined by N control, points.

Try the following two references:

Kajiya JT, "New Techniques for Ray Tracing Procedurally Defined Objects",
Proc SIGGRAPH '83, 91-102.

Van Wijk JJ, "Ray Tracing Objects defined by sweeping planar cubic splines",
ACM Transactions on Graphics 3(3), 223-237.

good luck,
Jos (stam@dgp.toronto.edu)