[comp.graphics] Functioning JPEG-like systems?

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr10.022005.9615@oakhill.sps.mot.com> matt@ace4.sps.mot.com (matthew noell) writes:
>Dear Netters,
>
>I am looking for a way to animate large bitmaps and record this to video tape.
>
>So far I have been looking at the NeXTdimension because it has the
>necessary VCR connector and a data compression/decompression chip along with
>the Intel i860 chip on the graphics board.  NeXT says they can display
>30 frames/sec.  I have seen the NeXT display live video from a camcorder
>but not anything using bitmaps stored on disk and displayed in rapid
>succession.  However, the problem with the NeXT is that I am not sure about
>where NeXT will be in the future.  I would like to be able to get
>the same capabilities I am looking for in something other than a NeXT
>with maybe a third party add-in board.

I'm in just about the same boat - can anyone confirm/deny that the Next wil
do full resolution, 30fps arbitrary video from the hard disk? A friend
tells me that the C-Cube JPEG chip simply doesn't work, at least not at
full speed/bandwidth video as they claimed.

I would also much prefer an add-in board.  I've seen a demo of a system
running on a Mac II playing "Star Wars" off the disk, 24 bits, 30fps,
using a jpeg system (but not the C-cube chip).  It was very glitchy.  I
think the company was Super Mac Technologies or something like that.

|  Jeff Mann  Inter/Access Artists' Computer Centre, Toronto  [416] 535-8601 |
|  intacc!mann@cs.toronto.edu   Matrix Artists' BBS: [416] 535-7598 2400 8N1 |
| ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann  mann@intacc.uucp   [416] 535-1443 Telebit 8N1 |

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.234158.25619@intacc.uucp> mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) writes:
>In article <1991Apr10.022005.9615@oakhill.sps.mot.com> matt@ace4.sps.mot.com (matthew noell) writes:
>>I am looking for a way to animate large bitmaps and record this to video
>>tape. I would like to be able to get
>>the same capabilities I am looking for in something other than a NeXT
>>with maybe a third party add-in board.
>I would also much prefer an add-in board.  I've seen a demo of a system
>running on a Mac II playing "Star Wars" off the disk, 24 bits, 30fps,
>using a jpeg system (but not the C-cube chip).  It was very glitchy.

There is a small "black box" made for the Amiga which converts the standard
display output to full NTSC color composite video and takes full advantage
of the Amigas animation speed capabilities. The box is called DCTV and is
sold by Digital Creations (a very reputable manufacturer of Amiga video
products). I saw a demo of it hooked up to an Amiga with a relatively fast
hard drive. It played back from the hard drive real-time full size video
from Back To The Future III along with 16bit stereo sound. The drive was
capable of over 1M/s but less than 2M/s. The image quality was quite good
and looked as though it were being played from a commercial VCR. DCTV does
not use JPEG but a proprietary video compression scheme. I might note that
while it does a wonderful job with real video, synthetic images (3D computer
generated) tend to exhibit some contouring (banding) in large areas of slow
color transition. The demo was done by IVS (the company that makes the
hard drive controller used in the demo). If you would like any more info,
give me a buzz. I use the device as a previewer before I record single
frame to a video disk recorder.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (04/19/91)

Jeff Mann  writes...
|I'm in just about the same boat - can anyone confirm/deny that the Next wil
|do full resolution, 30fps arbitrary video from the hard disk? A friend
|tells me that the C-Cube JPEG chip simply doesn't work, at least not at
|full speed/bandwidth video as they claimed.
|
|I would also much prefer an add-in board.  I've seen a demo of a system
|running on a Mac II playing "Star Wars" off the disk, 24 bits, 30fps,
|using a jpeg system (but not the C-cube chip).  It was very glitchy.  I
|think the company was Super Mac Technologies or something like that.

It is SuperMac Technology and we are using the CCube chip.  The demo you
saw is quite old and we got some neat stuff under development.  I can't
comment on unannouced products, but will post something here when more
information is available.  If you want to receive information on our video
products after they been annouced, send me your smail address and I'll pass
it on to the appropiate people at SuperMac.

Jerry Whitnell
SuperMac Technology

burger@oldcolo.UUCP (Keith Hamburger) (05/18/91)

Some other comments on the Amiga system.

There are available transport control programs that allow frame by frame
control of an appropriate VCR.  This can be used in VHS, S-VHS or any other
standard.  This will allow you to animate at the speed of the VCR and not be
limited by the processing speed of the computer.  It will also allow longer
animations that can be stored on hard disk, WORM or MagnetoOptical disks, all
of which are available for the Amiga.

If you are more interested in doing everything in real time on the
you an get an Amiga 3000 which comes standard with 2MB ram and a 3MHz 68030 w/
68881 coproc, and 50 or 100MB hd.  This should allow you to do anything short
of, and possibly including, 24 bit rendering.  If you need just a little more
speed there are several options.  One is more memory to allow you to buffer
drives.  Another is to add a 68040 board to an Amiga 3000.  Still another is to
get a set of transputer boards with a transputer graphics board and port the
applications necessary from there.

I own an Amiga and used to sell them.  If you are interested in more info I
would be happy to correspond with you on the subject.

Keith L. Hamburger		Partner, AI Consultants
				Search and Recruiting of SW Proffessionals
627 Skyline Acve		220 Chamberlin Ave
Colorado Springs, CO  80905	Colorado Springs, CO  80906
(719)471-8880			(719)579-8080
internet:	burger@oldcolo (...csn!oldcolo!burger)
fidonet:	Keith L. Hamburger (1:76/128)

s8922967@ipc09.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (05/18/91)

3MHz 68030 - don't you mean 25MHz (or maybe 16MHz if you get the low end Amiga3000).

- Murray