[comp.graphics] Can Mathematica combine surface and 3D Graphics??

young@s2.elec.uq.oz (Steven Young) (05/15/91)

I'm wanting to show a SurfaceGraphics with two Graphics3D objects in
Mathematica, and found it's not easily possible.  The context of
the problem is showing a 2-input, single-output system response
and wanting to combine the desired response points with the
SurfaceGraphics plot generated by Plot3D.

The Mathematica Reference Guide (Appendix B, Mathematica, p. 685)
says that when using the Show command, only plots based on Graphics
and Graphics3D can be combined.  Sounds like the final word on the
matter, but I was wondering if anyone's done anything clever in
this regard, or can suggest other packages to do the task.

I would wonder if there is a way in Mathematica to change a SurfaceGraphics
object into a Graphics3D object, that I don't know about (mmm...).
It seems fairly intuitive that Mathematica is ultimately treating the
SurfaceGraphics object as a Graphics3D object.

If you could respond to me via e-mail, then I'll do the responsible
thing and summarize and repost.  If the solution is simple then
post to sci.math.symbolic, as I'll read that more than comp.graphics.

Thanks for your time.

Steven Young.

Steven Young,                         |
PhD Student,                          |             This space
Department of Electrical Engineering, |             for rent!!
University of Queensland.             |

paul@chipmunk.bk.tsukuba.ac.jp (Paul Fons) (05/16/91)

  The new version of Mathematica has changed this I think.  Certainly SurfaceGraphics
couldn't be combined before using the Show command and they can now.  Also there
is a new function GraphicsArray that allows different types of graphics to be
combined.
--
						Dr. Paul Fons
						University of Tsukuba

						paul@bk.tsukuba.ac.jp
					fax:    (0)298-53-5205

vbush@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Victoria Bush) (05/16/91)

In article <376@s2.elec.uq.oz> young@s2.elec.uq.oz (Steven Young) writes:
>I'm wanting to show a SurfaceGraphics with two Graphics3D objects in
>Mathematica, and found it's not easily possible.  The context of
>the problem is showing a 2-input, single-output system response
>and wanting to combine the desired response points with the
>SurfaceGraphics plot generated by Plot3D.
>
>The Mathematica Reference Guide (Appendix B, Mathematica, p. 685)
>says that when using the Show command, only plots based on Graphics
>and Graphics3D can be combined.  Sounds like the final word on the
>matter, but I was wondering if anyone's done anything clever in
>this regard, or can suggest other packages to do the task.
>
>I would wonder if there is a way in Mathematica to change a SurfaceGraphics
>object into a Graphics3D object, that I don't know about (mmm...).
>It seems fairly intuitive that Mathematica is ultimately treating the
>SurfaceGraphics object as a Graphics3D object.

>Steven Young,                         |
>PhD Student,                          |             This space
>Department of Electrical Engineering, |             for rent!!
>University of Queensland.             |

Here's a question I have along the same lines--There are some options
for Plot3D that I would like to be able to use with ParametricPlot3D, or,
more generally, I would like to pass options between different plotting
commands. Is there any way to do this? (If more clarity is needed, I can
post a specific option I'd like to carry over to ParametricPlot3D.)

-Vicki
--
Victoria Bush, a lowly graduate student| For by your words you will be
Indiana University                     | acquitted, and by your words you

bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) (05/22/91)

In article <376@s2.elec.uq.oz> young@s2.elec.uq.oz (Steven Young) writes:
>I'm wanting to show a SurfaceGraphics with two Graphics3D objects in
>Mathematica, and found it's not easily possible.  The context of
>the problem is showing a 2-input, single-output system response
>and wanting to combine the desired response points with the
>SurfaceGraphics plot generated by Plot3D.
>
>The Mathematica Reference Guide (Appendix B, Mathematica, p. 685)
>says that when using the Show command, only plots based on Graphics
>and Graphics3D can be combined.  Sounds like the final word on the
>matter, but I was wondering if anyone's done anything clever in
>this regard, or can suggest other packages to do the task.
>
>I would wonder if there is a way in Mathematica to change a SurfaceGraphics
>object into a Graphics3D object, that I don't know about (mmm...).
>It seems fairly intuitive that Mathematica is ultimately treating the
>SurfaceGraphics object as a Graphics3D object.
>
>If you could respond to me via e-mail, then I'll do the responsible
>thing and summarize and repost.  If the solution is simple then
>post to sci.math.symbolic, as I'll read that more than comp.graphics.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Steven Young.

	If you set your SurfaceGraphics object to some variable, 'thang.'
You can convert 'thang' to a Graphics3D object via the command:
Graphics3D[thang]. The resulting Graphics3D object can be manipulated
like any other. (I think, it's been a while :-). What up wri.com!?)

--
 Carlos Dragonslayer Butler|       "People often condescend
   bucacs@ux1.ctseiu.edu   |     what they fail to comprehend.