[comp.graphics] Usage of GIF formats in software

ernest@pegasus.dsg.tandem.com (Ernest Hua) (05/25/91)

Apparently, there is a statement in the GIF87a and GIF89a documents that
require software using GIF to do BLAH.  Could someone please tell me
what "using GIF" means?

It would be good to spell out when software does not have to do BLAH, and when
software does has to do BLAH along with examples.

--
Ernest Hua, Associate Design Engineer                         ernest@tandem.com
Tandem Computers, 19333 Vallco Parkway, Cupertino, CA  95014       408-285-5580

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.195243.4345@tandem.com> ernest@pegasus.dsg.tandem.com (Ernest Hua) writes:
>Apparently, there is a statement in the GIF87a and GIF89a documents that
>require software using GIF to do BLAH.  Could someone please tell me
>what "using GIF" means?

I presume you're referring to the following passage (under "Licensing"):

--------------
CompuServe Incorporated hereby grants a limited, non-exclusive, royalty-free
license for the use of the Graphics Interchange Format(sm) in computer
software; computer software utilizing GIF(sm) must acknowledge ownership of the
Graphics Interchange Format and its Service Mark by CompuServe Incorporated, in
User and Technical Documentation. Computer software utilizing GIF, which is
distributed or may be distributed without User or Technical Documentation must
display to the screen or printer a message acknowledging ownership of the
Graphics Interchange Format and the Service Mark by CompuServe Incorporated; in
this case, the acknowledgement may be displayed in an opening screen or leading
banner, or a closing screen or trailing banner. A message such as the following
may be used:

      "The Graphics Interchange Format(c) is the Copyright property of
      CompuServe Incorporated. GIF(sm) is a Service Mark property of
      CompuServe Incorporated."

As for your question, I'd say it's pretty clear that if your software
processes GIF files in any way, it's "using GIF".

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu