[net.cooks] Grilling salmon

atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) (05/24/85)

I would like to enjoy some grilled salmon steaks this summer, but envision
a large portion crumbling and falling in to the inferno below (God forbid!).

Any suggestions on how to keep the salmon together (is the skin enough?),
when to turn, preparation of the grill, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
NBI Inc., P.O. Box 9001, Boulder CO 80301	(303) 444-5710
"Bring out your dead... bring out your dead...."

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (05/29/85)

>I would like to enjoy some grilled salmon steaks this summer, but envision
>a large portion crumbling and falling in to the inferno below (God forbid!).
>
>Any suggestions on how to keep the salmon together (is the skin enough?),
>when to turn, preparation of the grill, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
You asked about salmon steaks: I'd treat it like I did swordfish ...
Yesterday, I chickened out and grilled my swordfish steak under the broiler.
However, from notes gathered from my Beard's _American Cookery_ (and some
additional ideas gained from my experience), you might try to use foil
under the fish or at least oil the grill before you add the fish.  Cook at
very high heat for about ten minutes for each inch of thickness. (Hence,
my inch and a half thick steak should take 15 minutes, but the middle took
about five extra minutes since I kept opening the door to see if it was
done.)  Turn it over about halfway through the cooking.  I would think that
the finer the mesh on the grill, the easier it would be to turn.  It is also
my experience that lighter fluid often imparts an off-taste to some grilled
foods.  It might be better to not use lighter fluid with fish.  High heat
(_Joy of Cooking_ said 800 (no typo) degrees !!) and oiled grill seem to
be the secret.  However, they create a lot of sparks.  Oiled foil with a
few holes might be best.  Also, fires vary, so watch the fish.
I also used a marinade based on Beard (3 T. olive oil, 3 T. veg. oil,
2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 T. lemon juice, 1.5 t. dried basil, 1.5 t. salt,
and 1 t. pepper) for two hours before broiling to keep the steak moist.
My steak didn't fall apart and the part that I ate (no one should eat
1.5 pounds of swordfish at one sitting, so ~2/3 of it is leftovers) was
delicious.  (Eat leftover fish plain.  No swordfish salad sandwiches.)
				Beth Katz
				{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!beth

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (05/30/85)

I just recently grilled red snapper, and had no problems.  The result
was delicious.  Make sure to oil the grill, or the fish will stick to
it and be impossible to remove in one piece.
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

kaiser@roll.DEC (05/31/85)

     I have had the best results grilling salmon or swordfish or bluefish
 when I have sandwiched the steak in those metal hamgurger holders.  It
 makes turning the fish a snap.  I recommend oiling the holder as you would
 grill and and basting freely.  Enjoy.

                                          Anne M. Kaiser

 decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-roll!kaiser

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (05/31/85)

> I would like to enjoy some grilled salmon steaks this summer, but envision
> a large portion crumbling and falling in to the inferno below (God forbid!).
>
> Any suggestions on how to keep the salmon together (is the skin enough?),
> when to turn, preparation of the grill, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
> NBI Inc., P.O. Box 9001, Boulder CO 80301	(303) 444-5710
> "Bring out your dead... bring out your dead...."

Those fish grills that hold the steaks between two pieces of metal mesh with
the long handles attached, hinged at the end opposite the handles are great
for this.  You don't unstick the fish from the grill to turn it, you just
turn the whole grill over.  Oiling the grill first is well-advised, so you
don't leave any of the fish on the grill when you go to eat it, though.  Look
in most any camping catalogue and you'll probably see one for sale.
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (06/01/85)

In article <1216@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:
>I would like to enjoy some grilled salmon steaks this summer, but envision
>a large portion crumbling and falling in to the inferno below (God forbid!).
>Any suggestions on how to keep the salmon together (is the skin enough?),
>when to turn, preparation of the grill, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
>Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
>NBI Inc., P.O. Box 9001, Boulder CO 80301	(303) 444-5710

I recently purchased a metal basket (made for grilling things on the BBQ) and
it works just fine for fish.  The size is approx. 1" deep x 10" x 10".  It
has a long handle so you can turn the basket without burning the #$%&$# out
of your hand.  A small wire clasp is used to keep the basket closed.  The
fish still sticks to the metal wires of the basket but this is a minor problem
compared to sticking to the grill.  The cost of the basket was $5.99.  Using
this will require no special preparation of the grill.

So get one and "throw another shrimp on the Barbie" for me.  Enjoy.
--
                                      Al Schwartz
                                      Pacesetter Systems Inc., Sylmar, CA

pam@cepu.UUCP (Pam McGarvey ) (06/03/85)

In article <1216@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:

>I would like to enjoy some grilled salmon steaks this summer, but envision
>a large portion crumbling and falling in to the inferno below (God forbid!).
>
>Any suggestions on how to keep the salmon together (is the skin enough?),
>when to turn, preparation of the grill, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
>
>TIA

Using the following method, I've never had any problems with the charcoal
getting any of my salmon steaks.  First, clean the grill thoroughly, then
brush with an unflavored oil (Wesson,etc.).
This keeps the steak from sticking to the grill.  The skin and bone structure
seem to be enough to keep the steak intact if the fish is not overcooked.
I swear by the Canadian cooking method to guarantee perfectly cooked
fish, no matter what heat source is use.  Measure the steak's thickness
at its thickest part, then cook 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
Divide the cooking time by half for each side == a 2 inch thick steak
requires 10 minutes per side.
As in barbecueing anything, make sure your coals are red hot -- no
flames and coals covered with a white ash.  I like to flavor my salmon
by brushing them before cooking and then twice during cooking with a
garlic butter with a little fresh dill blended in.

Happy cooking!!

Pamela McGarvey
UCLA Comprehensive Epilepsy Program