[comp.graphics] IBM R6000 with 3D 24bit graphics--real time video?

cohen@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Ron Cohen) (05/26/91)

We are thinking of buying a 320H for solid modeling, in particular
molecular modeling using Phigs.  The IBM specs for the 320 with
24bit graphics are 10K Gouraud shaded polygons/sec.  Is this fast
enough for real time video?  Does anyone have experience with such
an application on an R6000?  Is it possible to save the frames
and play them back at video speeds if that raw rate isn't fast enough?
Any experiencce making video directly from an R6000?  Any advice would be
appreciated.  We are also considering an HP 720 PRX, which rates at 21K polygons
/sec, but is 16 bit (8+8) rather than 24.  We appreciate the help.
  Ron Cohen
  Geophysical Laboratory
  Carnegie Institution of Washington
  Washington, D.C.

brownr@addiction.rtp.dg.com (Randy Brown) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May26@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cohen@quartz.ciw.edu writes:

>We are thinking of buying a 320H for solid modeling, in particular
>molecular modeling using Phigs.  The IBM specs for the 320 with
>24bit graphics are 10K Gouraud shaded polygons/sec.  Is this fast
>enough for real time video?  Does anyone have experience with such
>an application on an R6000?  Is it possible to save the frames
>and play them back at video speeds if that raw rate isn't fast enough?

Real-time at 30 frames/second gives you 300 polys/frame at best with a 10K
rated system.  Molecular modeling of any reasonable scale would have many
molecules, main chains, and assorted parts.  The UNC-CH graphics group
has been successfully performing molecular modeling tasks with a 30K poly/sec
machine, but does not use polys for spheres, which your machine probably
would.  How many polys per sphere will you use?  256, 128, 64?  You start
to run out of polygons pretty quickly at that rate.

So, I would expect that you will need to save frames, and perform single-frame
recording onto a VTR, unless you have a frame store like an Abekas to dump
them to tape with (which is a large investment for starting out).

>  Ron Cohen
>  Geophysical Laboratory
>  Carnegie Institution of Washington
>  Washington, D.C.