[comp.graphics] Radiosity Image Correction

wuly@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/27/91)

With regard to the "too dark" radiosity results discussion:

After talking with a grad student in computer graphics here at cornell:
	(1) everybody using radiosity algorithms has this problem.
	(2) a good way to assign colors to radiosity results is to do it
	    linearly, and then essentially gamma-correct the resulting image.

I have found that gamma correction does wonders for me, and my images are
darker than most due to inaccurate (too low) energy transfers (it made
calculations very fast, though).  For those of you using more accurate
routines, a gamma correction style transformation during color assignment
should be helpful.

For my case, a gamma correction of 1.8 looks nice, but of course that depends
on the monitor and the image.

wuly@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

sherman@unx.sas.com (Chris Sherman) (05/30/91)

In <1991May27.135349.5072@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> wuly@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>With regard to the "too dark" radiosity results discussion:

>After talking with a grad student in computer graphics here at cornell:
>	(1) everybody using radiosity algorithms has this problem.
>	(2) a good way to assign colors to radiosity results is to do it
>	    linearly, and then essentially gamma-correct the resulting image.

>I have found that gamma correction does wonders for me, and my images are
>darker than most due to inaccurate (too low) energy transfers (it made
>calculations very fast, though).  For those of you using more accurate
>routines, a gamma correction style transformation during color assignment
>should be helpful.

Actually, "too dark" was only one of the problems I had.  I had a lot of
"too bright" near the light sources as well.  I kludged together a kind
of gamma, inverse gamma thing (made the dark brighter, made the bright darker).

There must be a better way of doing it...  (I can see the subject of a
good paper around here somewhere.  :-)
--
Chris Sherman .................... sherman@unx.sas.com   |