[comp.graphics] BVU950 vs VO9850

raytrace@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Phil Dench) (05/27/91)

Currently we use a PC to control a BVH 2500 1" Sony video recorder.
We would like to purchase either a BVU 950 or a VO 9850 and I am not
certain which of these machines is likely to be best even looking at the specs:
 	$AU15000 for the BVU or $AU9000 for the VO

I am interested in any comment re users of both in terms of frame accuracy,
colour synching, etc. We will be dropping in single frames at night
for our animation.
--

	Phil Dench  Andrew Marriott.

--------------------------------------------+----------------------------------
                                            | School of Computer Science,
ACSNet: raytrace@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au  | Curtin University of Technology,
UUCP:   ...!uunet!munnari!cutmcvax!raytrace | Kent Street,
ARPA:   raytrace@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au  | Bentley
--------------------------------------------+----------------------------------

pfl@minerva.inesc.pt (Pedro Faria Lopes) (06/03/91)

In article <raytrace.675317284@cutmcvax> raytrace@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Phil Dench) writes:
>I am interested in any comment re users of both in terms of frame accuracy,
>colour synching, etc. We will be dropping in single frames at night
>for our animation.

Acording to Sony specs on the VO it should be accurate enough to do single
frame recording provided you use it with the Time Code read/write board.
The main difference between the VO and the BVU is that the BVU is
broadcast quality, this means better video recording and better accuracy
for single frame recording.
I know people in France that had problems with the VO doing single frame
recording. They changed either the Time Code board or the VO (I don't
remember now what exactly was changed) and the problems stoped. They
concluded that the VO was some how in the limits for single frame
recording.
I would advise you to buy the BVU, if you can afford the difference.
Hope this helps.
Pedro
--
Pedro Faria Lopes