[comp.graphics] 24-bit color

dwb4h@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Daniel W. Bingler) (05/30/91)

Can you put a 24-bit color board into a 386?  If so, what about prices, etc.

DwB

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.124427.19452@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> dwb4h@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Daniel W. Bingler) writes:
>Can you put a 24-bit color board into a 386?  If so, what about prices, etc.

Sure.  That would be the Targa or Targa+ boards, which are the 24/32-bit
standards for the PC.  I think a Targa+ runs about $1600 nowdays, but I'm
really not up on the pricing.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

cwilson@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Chris Wilson) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.124427.19452@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> dwb4h@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Daniel W. Bingler) writes:
>Can you put a 24-bit color board into a 386?  If so, what about prices, etc.

There are also other alternatives to the Targa boards, such as the Hercules
Graphics Station card I'm using right now, the RasterOps cards, etc...

-Chris Wilson
cwilson@uiuc.edu

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (06/04/91)

I may as well throw in a plug for the SGI IrisVision card.  It comes in 8 and 24 bit
versions and supports SGI's GL (Graphics Library -- immediate mode 3D).

-- Erik

guest1@cse.csulb.edu (guest #1) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May30.124427.19452@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
dwb4h@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Daniel W. Bingler) writes:
> Can you put a 24-bit color board into a 386?  If so, what about prices, etc.
>
> DwB

I read an article last month about "AQuest" (not sure of capitalization)
which was recently formed by several of the designers of the Intel i860.
They are working on a graphics adapter based on the i860, presumably with
full 24-bit color capability.  Does anyone know the status of their product?
The article mentioned that they wanted to make the product affordable,
so maybe it will be less than $300 like the NeXTdimension board (edu/dev
price).  I don't even know where AQuest is located -- Texas, probably.

Gary (a guest at a SCaN meeting)