[comp.graphics] Looking for Astronomical Viewer Source Code

ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) (06/05/91)

At the Naval Research Lab there was a program running on a Silicon Graphics
Iris Workstation that allow the viewing of floating-point astronomical data.

We were told that the program comes from the Smithsonian Institute and is called
(not exactly sure of the precise name) SAOVIEW for Smithsonian Astronomical
Viewer.

Does anyone know about this program?  Is it public domain?  If so is there an
FTP site for it?  We would need the c code to compile on a sparc.

Post or email.

Toodles
Andy
--
Andy Register  Internet: ar12@prism.gatech.edu   Bitnet: aregiste@gtri01.bitnet

-- Sometimes the Bears Win, Sometimes the Bulls Win --
    -------- But the Pigs *Always* Lose --------              (author unknown)

linas@hparc0.HP.COM (Linas Petras) (06/05/91)

From my archives....

>A very good viewer for FITS images is SAOimage (included with IRAF).
>It runs under Unix/X Windows System and is available via anonFTP from
>
>cfa250.harvard.edu in pub/SAOimage
>
>I had no problems compiling and runing it under HP-UX 7.0.

I have also got this running under X11 on SCO 3.2.2 using Thomas Roells X11R4
server. Runs great !!

Hope this helps.

vanhilst@june.cs.washington.edu (Michael VanHilst) (06/08/91)

Andy Register (4 June) writes:
> At the Naval Research Lab there was a program running on a Silicon Graphics
> Iris Workstation that allow the viewing of floating-point astronomical data.
> Does anyone know about this program?  Is it public domain?  If so is there an
> FTP site for it?  We would need the c code to compile on a sparc.

To which Linas Petras (5 June) responded:
>From my archives....
>> A very good viewer for FITS images is SAOimage (included with IRAF).
>> It runs under Unix/X Windows System and is available via anonFTP from
>> cfa250.harvard.edu in pub/SAOimage
>> I had no problems compiling and runing it under HP-UX 7.0.
> I have also got this running under X11 on SCO 3.2.2 using Thomas Roells
> X11R4 server. Runs great !!

Hang on guys.  A new update of SAOimage, with several bug fixes and
[finally] decent documentation is being prepared.  It should be available
in a couple weeks (app. June 20).

Mike VanHilst  vanhilst@cs.washington.edu  /  mvh@cfa.harvard.edu