[comp.graphics] sci fic paperback graphics

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) (06/10/91)

There is a novel series co-authored by Paul Preuss and Arthur C. Clarke
called "Venus Prime". In each novel, there were a few computer-generated
graphics detailing the structures of some vehicles/spaceships featured
in the novel. All graphics seem to me to be done using a solid modeler
because some of them were shaded. Most of them were shown in the form of
a finite-element mesh using triangular elements.

Does anyone know on what computer-graphics package were these graphics
drawn? They aren't remarkably detailed by they aren't just put together
using graphics primitives either.

Andy

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/10/91)

In article <91Jun9.131732edt.18823@me.utoronto.ca> sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) writes:
>There is a novel series co-authored by Paul Preuss and Arthur C. Clarke
[...]
>Does anyone know on what computer-graphics package were these graphics
>drawn?

[speculation follows.]

Clarke is a big proponent of the Amiga, so I would tend to guess an
A2000 or A3000.  There are several hot-shot 3d modeling packages for
the Amiga, each at a hundred or three dollars, they all generate
wire-frames or simple renders of some sort.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

   --  If you're hacking PowerGloves and Amigas, drop me a line. --