[comp.graphics] PHIGS books?

dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (Dwight D. Moore) (06/10/91)

Does anybody know of a good tutorial /book on PHIGS?
                                Dwight D. Moore
                         Geosciences Computing Network
                            University of Oklahoma

                  dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (129.15.40.10)
disclaimer ()
{
    if ((fp = fopen("mail", "w+")) == NULL) exit (1);
    fprintf (fp, "This is my opinion.\n");
    fprintf (fp, "This does not represent the opinion of OU or the GCN\n");
    fclose (fp);
}

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (06/11/91)

> From: dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (Dwight D. Moore)
> Does anybody know of a good tutorial /book on PHIGS?

There is only one non-vendor book on the market right now.  I happen to
think is is a great book, though not all agree with me:-).  If you use
this book you need to sprinkle in redraw all structures in the examples
on some systems.

A Practical Introduction to PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS
TLJ Howard, WT Hewitt, RJ Hubbold, KM Wyrwas
Addison-Wesley 1991
ISBN 0-201-41641-7
Price $38.75

There are 7 more books due to come out over the next year, or so.  Some of
these books are just guesses, but...good guesses.

At SIGGRAPH there should be at least two more books.

Prentice Hall will actually be publishing a book on PHIG's very soon.
It is by Valerie Clark, (formerly?) of Sun Microsystems.

John Wiley and Sons, Inc.  is also planning to have a book available at
SIGGRAPH91. "A Primer for PHIGS" by Hopgood & Duce.

I do not know when the Springer-Verlag book is due:
Springer-Verlag, PHIGS by Example, Gaman and Giovinazzo.

After SIGGRAPH there is rumored to be another book on PHIGS.  This is
being written by the person who wrote the old Domain/PHIGS book, which I
also used to recommend.

Also, Ron Levine says of his tutorial "But, as I stated, the possibility
of making it more widely available is under discussion within that
company."  It is evident that if such a book did come out and lived up
to Ron's expectations it would be an indepth exploration of the theory
and practice of PHIGS.

I also claimed previously that there was a rumor at the X conference the
O'Reilley was going to publish the PEX-SI Library Manual Pages.  These
are quite good man pages on the PHIGS "C" binding on a call by call
basis.  That rumor may be a little stale, but it makes so much sense,
heck, may be they will do a tutorial type thing, too. (2)

If you need a book now, but the PIP (Practical Intro to PHIGS) book. If
you are going to buy a couple of books on PHIGS, buy the PIP book.  If you
only want one PHIGS book, and you can wait for over one year, hold off.

--
-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh       jch@stardent.com         (508)-371-9810x261
Stardent Computer, 6 N.E. Tech Center, 521 Virginia Rd,Concord, MA 01742