[comp.graphics] 3D Modeling on SPARCS???

rapo@cs.cornell.edu (Andy Rapo) (06/11/91)

I'm interested in knowing whether people consider
SPARCs a good platform for doing 3D modeling and
rendering.  I currently use a Silicon Graphics
4D/220, but have access to lots of Suns.

What hardware/software combinations are available
for SPARC systems that would make them attractive
3D systems.  I would appreciate any opinions about
HOOPS, PEX and any other graphics software that
is out there.

Thanks a lot,
Andy Rapo
Cornell University
Simulation

herzog@dogwalk.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Herzog) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun8.054552.19349@cs.cornell.edu> rapo@cs.cornell.edu (Andy Rapo) writes:

>I'm interested in knowing whether people consider
>SPARCs a good platform for doing 3D modeling and
>rendering.  [...]

Well, we think so (speaking purely objectively, of course ;-)

>What hardware/software combinations are available
>for SPARC systems that would make them attractive
>3D systems.  I would appreciate any opinions about
>HOOPS, PEX and any other graphics software that
>is out there.

hardware:  SPARCstation 2GS, SPARCstation 2GT
software:  XGL, SunPHIGS, PEX, and assorted Sun Catalyst ISV
           (independent software vendor) offerings.

Consult your local Sun sales rep for more information on all of the above.

Brian Herzog                Sun Microsystems, Inc.         herzog@Eng.Sun.COM
Desktop & Graphics          2550 Garcia Avenue, MTV08-01   ...!sun!eng!herzog
Development Organization    Mountain View, CA  94043           (415) 336-7603