[comp.graphics] colour postscript printer

richard@mee.tcd.ie (06/13/91)

We're considering buying a colour postscript printer for our lab, with
the idea of printing 24-bit colour images. While I realise that we're
not going to get anywhere near photographic quality, any sample prints
I've seen all seem to be from drawing packages, with very little
variation in intensity.

I've seen output from colour photocopiers, the quality seems to fit our
needs exactly, but my question is is it possible to get printers that
come this close to photographic quality ???

If anyone has seen the NEC Colormate PS 80 in action (they have yet to
sell one in Ireland ) I'd really appreciate their comments, or indeed
anyone who has experience in this area.

thanks,

Richard

Richard Bolger                //
Trinity College Dublin       //       rjbolger@vax1.tcd.ie
Republic of Ireland         //

larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.142139.1@mee.tcd.ie> richard@mee.tcd.ie writes:
>We're considering buying a colour postscript printer for our lab, with
>the idea of printing 24-bit colour images. While I realise that we're
>not going to get anywhere near photographic quality, any sample prints
>I've seen all seem to be from drawing packages, with very little
>variation in intensity.
>
>I've seen output from colour photocopiers, the quality seems to fit our
>needs exactly, but my question is is it possible to get printers that
>come this close to photographic quality ???

The Canon CLC-500 is a color photocopier that also can be used as a color
raster printer.  Our company helped develop a Windows driver for the CLC
recently.  The output quality is incredibly good, including scanned image
reproduction, but the printer is very expensive.  It's not something you
can sit on your desktop, either. %)  At the lower end, there are printers
like the QMS ColorScript (the CLC is not a PostScript device) which have
very nice, saturated, glossy output, but which generally require that you
tweak images in PhotoShop/ImagePrep/whatever for color correction, etc., in
order to get faithful reproduction.  Of course, the QMS costs a fraction of
the Canon's price.  As usual, it's a tradeoff.

If you have to have a PostScript device, one of the thermal transfer 300
dpi color printers (QMS, etc.) is probably the best you're going to do
at a reasonable price.  Then it's a matter of working out the gamma
corrections and other tweaks for the types of images your want to feed it;
buy a copy of PhotoShop (Mac) or PhotoStyler (PC) and learn to use it.
As long as you're not trying to match monitor colors to printed colors,
you might even make it through the process with your sanity intact. %) %)

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com

andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) (06/16/91)

In article <4330@csccat.cs.com> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:

>The Canon CLC-500 is a color photocopier that also can be used as a color
>raster printer.

And 24 bit colour scanner.

>like the QMS ColorScript (the CLC is not a PostScript device) which have
The CLC can be used as a colour PostScript printer using the recently
released PS-IPU.

--
Andy Newman (andy@research.canon.oz.au)