[comp.graphics] 2D speech animation

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (06/08/91)

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a system that will allow you to type
English into a computer and it will first translate it into phonetics
and then given the phonetics, translate this into the appropriate 2D
animation frame for the particular mouth movement that creates that
voice.

Jason Leigh
jal@cs.wayne.edu
--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

e._john_love@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (E. John Love) (06/10/91)

Amigas have built in speech synthesizers, which, although the clarity of the
output is questionable, do work.  Using a small program on the Amiga
Workbench disk called "Say", you can enter a line of text for the Amiga to
speak.  It will display that line as phonemes, and say it back for you.
Perhaps something like this would be useful to you?

"Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Television..."
E. John Love   The Ice-Cave BBS  Vancouver BC Canada
(604) 873-8452   e._john_love@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca

chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) (06/17/91)

In article <e._john_love.9517@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca> e._john_love@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (E. John Love) writes:
>Amigas have built in speech synthesizers, which, although the clarity of the
>output is questionable, do work.  Using a small program on the Amiga
>Workbench disk called "Say", you can enter a line of text for the Amiga to
>speak.  It will display that line as phonemes, and say it back for you.
>Perhaps something like this would be useful to you?
>
>"Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Television..."
>E. John Love   The Ice-Cave BBS  Vancouver BC Canada
>(604) 873-8452   e._john_love@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca

More to the point of the original posting (which requested information
on animating a speaking mouth)  the Amiga's built-in speech system
software ("narrator.device") also returns values for "LipWidth" and
"LipHeight" which can be used to draw a 2D mouth that will be sych-ed
with the speach.

There's some example code in the release 1.3 version of
"Amiga Rom Kernal Reference Manul: Libraries and Devices"
(Addison Wesley, ISDN 0-201-18187-8)
which shows how to access this feature of the Amiga's OS.

     ///
    /// The opinions expressed may not reflect the position of my employer.
\\\///  (Of course that depends on which position they're in!)
 \XX/