[comp.graphics] IBM .MAC FILES/a little help

gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) (06/18/91)

  A friend gave me some .mac files from their pc. I'd like to view them
  on my mac, but I'm unable to, and I can't figure out why since these
  are macpaint files? Is it possible there is some sort of header info
  on the top of the file? If so does anybody have a file editor for the
  mac (freeware/shareware)?
			Thanx in advance,
			H-----

--
|        HARMON JAY ZUCCOLA        |  internet  zuccola@max.gatech.edu |
|==================================|===================================|

add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) (06/18/91)

gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:

>   A friend gave me some .mac files from their pc. I'd like to view them
>   on my mac, but I'm unable to, and I can't figure out why since these
>   are macpaint files?

	The MacPaint files do have a header and MacPaint should be able to
read it.  If the MacPaint files were not originally created on the Mac then
they could have been written to disk using the wrong byte-order (should be
Motorola and Intel was used instead).

	I'd suggest making sure the files were viewable on the PC first.
There is a MacPaint file viewer for the PC called SUPERMAC that'll display
them on a VGA system.  It's available on many BBSs and probably on SIMTEL-20
as well.

	If they display, but not under MacPaint on the Mac, then it's probably
the method you are using to get them to the Mac that is screwing them up.

--

--------------------

add@sciences.sdsu.edu

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.001414.21165@sciences.sdsu.edu> add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) writes:
>gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:
>>
>>   A friend gave me some .mac files from their pc. I'd like to view them
>>   on my mac, but I'm unable to, and I can't figure out why since these
>>   are macpaint files?
>
>	The MacPaint files do have a header and MacPaint should be able to
>read it.  If the MacPaint files were not originally created on the Mac then
>they could have been written to disk using the wrong byte-order (should be
>Motorola and Intel was used instead).

More likely the files simply do not have the proper CREATOR/TYPE.  This happens
when Mac files are moved over from the PC because the PC file system is quite
retarded and does not understand file types.  (Most PC programs rely on the
kludge of requiring users to give files a specific three-letter extension in
order to indicate which files a program can read.)  If you set the TYPE to
"MPNT" (without the quotes) using ResEdit, you should be able to open them from
any program that reads MacPaint files.  You can set the CREATOR to "MPNT" also,
but this isn't really critical.  If you transfer the files from the PC to the
Mac using Apple File Exchange, you have the option of setting the TYPE at the
same time, which saves you from having to use ResEdit.