[net.cooks] ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

penny@hlwpc.UUCP (P. Blaine) (05/30/85)

******** FLAME ON ********

I read net.cooks to find interesting recipes and
articles about food - I am really tired of hitting
*n* to bypass BOILING COLD WATER, FREEZING HOT WATER,
and DREAM KITCHENS.

Let's keep to the topic at hand!

Anybody second the motion?

******** FLAME OFF ********

mielke@ihuxk.UUCP (R. W. Mielke) (05/31/85)

> ******** FLAME ON ********
>
> I read net.cooks to find interesting recipes and
> articles about food - I am really tired of hitting
> *n* to bypass BOILING COLD WATER, FREEZING HOT WATER,
> and DREAM KITCHENS.
>
> Let's keep to the topic at hand!
>
> Anybody second the motion?
>
> ******** FLAME OFF ********

Good kitchen design is half the pleasure of cooking.  I find it
interesting!

Bob

adw@hou2g.UUCP (A.WILLIAMS) (05/31/85)

I agree wholeheartedly with it being enough of those same non-cooking
articles.  This newsgroup is entitled net.cooks not net.kitchen.

New Topic

Does anyone have any dishes that they cook only in the summer as light
meals.  It's kind of hard to eat a lot of hot meals during the summer
months.  Are there any salad recipes out there that can be eaten as
the entire meal?

                                                     ADW
                                                     hocad!adw

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (05/31/85)

In article <554@hlwpc.UUCP> penny@hlwpc.UUCP (P. Blaine) writes:

>I read net.cooks to find interesting recipes and
>articles about food - I am really tired of hitting
>*n* to bypass BOILING COLD WATER, FREEZING HOT WATER,
>
>Let's keep to the topic at hand!
>
>******** FLAME OFF ********

	You and all the others who have complained have a valid point!
But I have been thoroughly amused by the discussions. Whenever
net.jokes gets boring I can always revert to net.cooks and be
assured of a laugh. In the interests of harmony however, and as a
point of procedure, I will second the motion that Boiling &
Freezing water should be moved elsewhere. Perhaps net.physics.crackpots?
But whereever, *please* let me know. I want to follow it.

Cheers, Fred Williams.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (06/01/85)

In article <554@hlwpc.UUCP> penny@hlwpc.UUCP (P. Blaine) writes:
>******** FLAME ON ********
>
>I read net.cooks to find interesting recipes and
>articles about food - I am really tired of hitting
>*n* to bypass BOILING COLD WATER, FREEZING HOT WATER,
>and DREAM KITCHENS.
>
>Let's keep to the topic at hand!
>
>Anybody second the motion?
>
>******** FLAME OFF ********

   I agree with your feelings about the boiling/freezing water nonsense,
but since most cooks use kitchen appliances, I think THAT is appropriate.
What better place than net.cooks?
--
 - j "vo" p

{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (06/01/85)

In article <554@hlwpc.UUCP> penny@hlwpc.UUCP (P. Blaine) writes:
>I read net.cooks to find interesting recipes and
>articles about food - I am really tired of hitting
>*n* to bypass BOILING COLD WATER, FREEZING HOT WATER,
>and DREAM KITCHENS.
>Anybody second the motion?

Two out of three.

I find the discussion of dream kitchens interesting in that one's
abilities as a cook are influenced by the workspace.  The articles on
dream kitchens have had some (admittedly not all) intersting comments on
how that workspace can be made better.

In the same vein, I am interested in any product reports people on the
net may offer.  What is the best construction for cooking pots?  When does
it REALLY pay to have a food processor or are these just toys of the
idle and lazy?

As far as BOILING HOT WATER and FREEZING COLD WATER, let's start a new
newsgroup - net.cooks.aquaphiles - and let them have their day.
If the comments will really make me a better cook, then post them here.

And BTW, thanks to everyone who has shared their own interesting
recipes on the net.

D.Katz

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (06/01/85)

No second here, (and hopefully no more such discussion on this newsgroup)
for you suggestion to ban any posting not a recepie.  If you cook, your
interested in environments, hardware, techniques, etc.  These are all valid
topics for this newsgroup.

(UUCP: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!beslove)
(CSNet: beslove@ohio-state)		        The world is my sandbox,
(ARPA: beslove%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)    humanity my playmates.

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (06/04/85)

In article <485@hou2g.UUCP> adw@hou2g.UUCP (A.WILLIAMS) writes:

>I agree wholeheartedly with it being enough of those same non-cooking
>articles.  This newsgroup is entitled net.cooks not net.kitchen.

I disagree wholeheartedly.  Cooking is more of a pleasure when working
in a well-equipped, and well-laid-out kitchen.
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

kh@mtuxn.UUCP (K.HOOVER) (06/06/85)

>Freezing water should be moved elsewhere. Perhaps net.physics.crackpots?
>Cheers, Fred Williams.

How 'bout as new group dedicated to physics applied to cooking, named:
           net.physics.crockpots ?

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (06/08/85)

> New Topic
>
> Does anyone have any dishes that they cook only in the summer as light
> meals.  It's kind of hard to eat a lot of hot meals during the summer
> months.  Are there any salad recipes out there that can be eaten as
> the entire meal?
>
>                                                      ADW

This one comes from "The Complete Book of Pasta" by Jarratt and Jarratt,
a Dover book.  It's quick and easy to make, and great on a hot summer
night.  I highly recommend the book; it's full of easy and interesting
recipes.

Spaghetti with Raw Tomatoes & Basil (for 6 people)

600 g (1 1/2 lb) spaghetti

Sauce

800 g (2 lb) ripe tomatoes; tinned ones are no use for this dish
5 tablespoonsful of the best olive oil you can get
a handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped.  Dried basil is no use
	in this recipe
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Peel the tomatoes - 1 minute in boiling water makes this easy.  Remove the
seeds and the liquid.  Shake them dry and chop them up.  It's a good idea
to leave them over a sieve for a few minutes so that any remaining liquid
will run away.

Put the tomatoes in a bowl.  Add the oil, the chopped basil, the chopped
garlic, and the desired quantity of salt and pepper.

When the spaghetti are cooked and drained, put them in a serving dish.  Add the
cold, uncooked sauce.  Mix well, and send to table.

No grated cheese is served with this dish; which has the advantage of being
very easy to digest.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

ronnie@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronnie Schnell) (06/12/85)