[comp.graphics] rlequant problems

hardaker@irisUCDavis.EDU (Wes Hardaker) (06/19/91)

Akkk...  I'm tired of playing.  Ok.. This is what I want, if someone would tell me what really stupid error I am making, I would be greatly appriciative.

I have a rle file that I quantize with rlequant -c <in-file> -o <c-file-out>.

The output file is a color map (only, no image).  Now...  I want to take that color map and load it into the original image, thus making a quantized image (and thereby reducing the size of the image).  Why can't I get rleldmap to give me anything but a picture with the colors all screwed up?  (using rleldmap -r <rle-map-file> <image-file> -o <image-with-map>)

Help...  I know I gotta be doing something really stupid.

---
                                                                _____
							       / ___ \
Wes Hardaker					       	      / /   \/
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science    \--/     /\
University of California at Davis	 __________________   \/     /--\
(hardaker@iris.ucdavis.edu)             /     Recycle      \    /\___/ /
                                       / It's not too late! \   \_____/

wes@uh.msc.edu (Wes Barris) (06/20/91)

In article <9199@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, hardaker@irisUCDavis.EDU (Wes
Hardaker) writes:

> Akkk...  I'm tired of playing.  Ok.. This is what I want, if someone
would tell me what really stupid error I am making, I would be greatly
appriciative.

> I have a rle file that I quantize with rlequant -c <in-file> -o <c-file-out>.
>
> The output file is a color map (only, no image).  Now...  I want to
take that color map and load it into the original image, thus making a
quantized image (and thereby reducing the size of the image).  Why can't
I get rleldmap to give me anything but a pi> cture with the colors all
screwed up?  (using rleldmap -r <rle-map-file> <image-file> -o
<image-with-map>)

Hmmm, another Wes.  Why not just use "rlequant 24bit-file -o 8bit-file"?
This will create the proper color map and put it in the header of the
resulting 8 bit image file.

In your example, I am assuming that the "original image" is a 24 bit
file.  I doubt that you want to add the color map generated by rlequant
to this 24 bit image.

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_T___
    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
The spam in plan falls mainly in the can.

hardaker@irisUCDavis.EDU (Wes Hardaker) (06/20/91)

In article <4310@uc.msc.umn.edu>, wes@uh.msc.edu (Wes Barris) writes:
|> Hmmm, another Wes.

There are not too many, I have to agree!

|>  Why not just use "rlequant 24bit-file -o 8bit-file"?
|> This will create the proper color map and put it in the header of the
|> resulting 8 bit image file.

What I should have mentioned in my first post was that I eventually want to take the color map from one image and use it on another image (which is almost identical).  Patch level #2 of the urt package does support a '-m' option, but I don't want to use that (ie., I have a few more files than I want to run through rlequant).  What I'd like to do is get a map for 1 or serveral 24-bit images to turn them into 8 and then apply that same map to someother 24bit images to turn them into 8 bits too.

Thanks,
                                                                _____
							       / ___ \