[net.cooks] MSG

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (05/17/85)

I read an article about MSG several years ago in Science magazine.
The article discussed allergic reactions and possible side effects
from MSG (they called these reactions CRS, for Chinese Restaurant
Syndrome).

From what I remember, MSG has been around for more than 100 years.
It occurs naturally in certain kinds of seaweed, which are therefore
used for flavoring.  It is on the FDA's list of substances "generally
recognized as safe."

Almost everyone will react to MSG who ingests enough of it.
The typical reaction is a headache, combined with a feeling of
tightness in the forehead.  The severity of the reaction varies
greatly from one individual to another.  The effects are temporary,
and apparently do not cause any harm beyond the discomfort.

In all the clinical studies examined by this article, only two
cases were found where MSG caused effects of any kind beyond
discomfort.  One was an epileptic in whom MSG would induce seizures.
The other was also an epileptic -- but MSG would PREVENT seizures
in this one.  Go figure.

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (05/28/85)

[Bug Foo Young with Happy User, $6]

> According to Irene Kuo's "Key to Chinese Cooking" (an excellent cookbook,
> by the way), MSG *is* an authentically Chinese ingredient.

Would it help to switch to Japanese food?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (06/01/85)

In article <783@gloria.UUCP> colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:

>Would it help to switch to Japanese food?

Nope.  They use as much as the Chinese

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

trisha@oddjob.UUCP (Trisha O Tuama) (06/03/85)

> Would it help to switch to Japanese food?

Actually, Thai is better than either Chinese or Japanese.

Trisha (but China's outlawing chopsticks!) O Tuama

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (06/05/85)

Actually Japanese food is just as bad. MSG is known as agi-no-moto and
is a common seasoning in Japanese cooking.

As far as Oriental cooking is concerned, Japanese cooking is on the
decline in the Boston area, with Thai on the rise. Szechuan has gone out
of style (it suffered by the sushi rise). I still think that Mom's
cooking is the best.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

rich@sdcc12.UUCP (rich) (06/09/85)

In article <397@mtxinu.UUCP> ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) writes:
>In article <783@gloria.UUCP> colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>>
>>Would it help to switch to Japanese food?
>
>Nope.  They use as much as the Chinese
>
>--
>Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
>{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

 In raw fish?? In rice??

 -rich

 {a fan of <TRUE> Japanese food}

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (06/11/85)

> In raw fish?? In rice??

No, not in raw fish, and not in plain rice. But there is MSG in most
Japanese soy sauce. Soy is used to season almost everything including
raw fish.

MSG is used in sushi, and most tempura batters. My mother even put MSG
on broiled meat and fish (in the same way others would use salt and
pepper).
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}
  Havard University Science Center	phone: 617-495-1270
  One Oxford Street
  Cambridge, MA 02138

vch@rruxo.UUCP (V. Hatem) (06/13/85)

for rich (who posted last - sorry i lost the article) who said that MSG wasn't
in <REAL> japanese food (he said in raw fish and rice),

	I'd hate to burst your bubble, but japanese people eat more than raw
fish and rice! But MSG is a Chinese (cantonese i belive) spice.

Also a lover of <REAL> japanese [chinese][korean][vietnamese][french][etc...]
food,

Vince Hatem
Bell Communications Research
rruxo!vch

---
| The assumption that a whole system can be made to work better through an   |
| assault on its conscious elements betrays a dangerous ignorance. This      |
| has often been the ignorant approach of those who call themselves	     |
| scientists and technologists.	                                             |
|					-The Butlerian Jihad		     |
|					 by Harq al-Ada			     |
| (Children of Dune, by Frank Herbert, p395)                                 |