[comp.graphics] Can handheld scanners scan BACKLIT images?

bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) (06/19/91)

Thanks for the responses to my x-ray question.  I need to clarify
my question:

I'm not at all concerned with resolution.  The images I'm scanning
are not bone/tissue, but pictures of a gel made for DNA sequencing
(a bunch of little dark lines).  I think 200dpi with 64 grey levels
would be more than sufficient.

My concern is light source.  If scanners (and remember I know nothing
about scanners :-) have an internal light source, would that interfere
with an image that was being lit from behind?

Thanks again,

+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|       Bill Kirby         |  Internet:  bkirby@cs.umr.edu                 |
|  Computer Science Dept.  |    Bitnet:  bkirby%cs.umr.edu@umrvmb.bitnet   |
| University of MO - Rolla |      UUCP:  ...!uunet!cs.umr.edu!bkirby       |
|    Rolla, MO  65401      |                                               |
+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (06/25/91)

bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) writes:
>My concern is light source.  If scanners (and remember I know nothing
>about scanners :-) have an internal light source, would that interfere
>with an image that was being lit from behind?

Hand-scanners have internal light, at least all I've seen.

1.  Some scanners have an adjustable contrast knob (eg Logitech ScanMan 256).
    twisting this may force it to ignore one source or the other.  Try it.
2.  The internal light may be sufficient, if you back the transparency
    with a solid white ground -- eg, oversize white paper.  Just because
    *you* view Xrays on a light-box doesn't mean the scanner is restricted
    to viewing the Xray negative in that position.  This will again call
    for twisting the contrast knob, as double filtering in grey areas will
    seriously shift the contrast curve (as I found out photocopying B&W
    tone transparencies).
3.  You could probably disable the light source (you might have to replace
    it with a resistor, if the software is smart enough to sense a burnt
    out light and give error).  Yet again, you'll use the contrast knob
    to correctly bias the sensor.

I've had some fun with the Logitech ScanMan256(tm) hand scanner with
256-grey scales, although for large tasks I'm sure I'd prefer my
firm's power-feed flat-bed scanners.  (And I hear we've got some new
stuff in the works that blows both kinds away.)

I would be careful of one thing: scratching your emulsion with the scanner.
I don't know if Xrays have the image on the 'front' or 'back' of the carrier;
if the image is on the 'front', you might want to scan through the 'back' and
reverse the image in software to protect the emulsion.  Alternatively, you
could see if the Xray lab has a clear-coat to protect the emulsion -- they
may instinctively use it, or only on request; I know Polaroid used to sell
such.
--
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.wang.com
"The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one."

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (06/25/91)

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) writes:

>bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) writes:
>>My concern is light source.  If scanners (and remember I know nothing
>>about scanners :-) have an internal light source, would that interfere
>>with an image that was being lit from behind?

>Hand-scanners have internal light, at least all I've seen.

>1.  Some scanners have an adjustable contrast knob (eg Logitech ScanMan 256).
>    twisting this may force it to ignore one source or the other.  Try it.

>2.  The internal light may be sufficient, if you back the transparency
>    with a solid white ground -- eg, oversize white paper.  Just because
>    *you* view Xrays on a light-box doesn't mean the scanner is restricted
>    to viewing the Xray negative in that position.  This will again call
>    for twisting the contrast knob, as double filtering in grey areas will
>    seriously shift the contrast curve (as I found out photocopying B&W
>    tone transparencies).

I tried this with the Logitech ScanMan 256 I bought last week, with
mixed success. The thing I tried to do was to scan 24*36mm b&w negatives
for previewing (one of my hobbies is b&w photographing, including all
the dark room processing) and for archiving purposes.

While putting the negative strip on a white paper and scanning it with
contrast set to dark and dpi to 400 works quite well for normal and
light negatives, it doesn't work at all for pictures where the interesting
details are in the darker parts of the negative.

Scanning color negatives didn't work at all.

Wolfgang Strobl

rak@crosfield.co.uk (Richard Kirk) (06/25/91)

>  The internal light may be sufficient, if you back the transparency
>  with a solid white ground -- eg, oversize white paper.

It all depends on the contrast range on your X-ray. X-ray film can have
useful information at densities beyond 6. An 8-bit CCD hand-held scanner
with linear A/D will only go up to about 2. A sensible radiographer will
adjust the doses and add anti-scatter shielding, but sometimes that cannot
be helped when looking at the edge of a cylinder, etc. The usual problem is
too little dose. Whether it will work often depends on...

What is the biggest density in the region of interest?

>  Just because
>  *you* view Xrays on a light-box doesn't mean the scanner is restricted
>  to viewing the Xray negative in that position.

The light goes twice through the film, so the effective density is roughly
doubled ( the exposure on high sensitivity film is visibly mottled ).
If the original density range was less than 1 then you might get away with
it.

You will also have a contribution from the backscattered light if you cannot
block off the light source. This signal will vary with the smoothness of the
film which in turn can depend on the condition of your fixer, and the agitation
in your bath. I doubt if it is significant under normal conditions, but beware
of reading too much into small structures in the shadows.

>I don't know if Xrays have the image on the 'front' or 'back' of the carrier.

On all X-ray films I have dealt with there is an emulsion on both sides. This
doubles the sensitivity. Under normal viewing conditions the parallax error
between front and back will be small. Is this still true with a hand-held
scanner?

If you have too much contrast on your film for the details to br readable then
you can halve the density by bleaching one side of the film with cotton wool
and ammonia. A less final method would be to print the image onto a soft
paper.

If you have the facilities I would recommend scanning a print of an X-ray, if
only to establish that scanning the x-ray directly works. I would expect the
print to have all the detail in the original with a better contrast range,
perhaps a better magnification, and less parallax errors (if significant).
If you are trying to get quantitative dose measurements of the film rather
than just detect edges there would be an extra round of chemistry to keep
constant, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Please let us know if it works!

--
Richard Kirk    Image Processing Dept     Crosfield Electronics Ltd. U.K.
                0442-230000 x3361/3591    Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7RH

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (06/25/91)

In article <4993@gmdzi.gmd.de> strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) writes:
>
>>bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) writes:
>>>My concern is light source.  If scanners (and remember I know nothing
>>>about scanners :-) have an internal light source, would that interfere
>>>with an image that was being lit from behind?
>
>>Hand-scanners have internal light, at least all I've seen.
>
>>1.  Some scanners have an adjustable contrast knob (eg Logitech ScanMan 256).
>>    twisting this may force it to ignore one source or the other.  Try it.
>
>>2.  The internal light may be sufficient, if you back the transparency
>>    with a solid white ground -- eg, oversize white paper.  Just because
>>    *you* view Xrays on a light-box doesn't mean the scanner is restricted
>>    to viewing the Xray negative in that position.  This will again call
>>    for twisting the contrast knob, as double filtering in grey areas will
>>    seriously shift the contrast curve (as I found out photocopying B&W
>>    tone transparencies).
>
>I tried this with the Logitech ScanMan 256 I bought last week, with
>mixed success. The thing I tried to do was to scan 24*36mm b&w negatives
>for previewing (one of my hobbies is b&w photographing, including all
>the dark room processing) and for archiving purposes.

I've tried scanning slides with my Scanman 256. The white paper trick didn't
work, but, back lighting did. It is quite sensitive to the quantity of light
(in particular, it is very sensitive to infared). In addition, any kind of
florescent lighting causes light and dark bars since they turn off and on
120 times per sec. I found the best way to go was to illuminate a white
paper that was place about 1 foot behind the slide and to use a DC powered
light.
Gary Mussar  |Internet:  mussar@bnr.ca                |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |                                        |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626