[comp.graphics] Implementation of AVS

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.161430.6719@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu>
	ullmer@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Brygg Ullmer) writes:

>[...] AVS is a full-blown visualization package/environment offering advanced
>display and manipulation of images, geometries, and multidimensional data.
>[...] While I believe AVS may be partially coded in Dore and many
>concepts/operations from Dore carry over into AVS, the two entities are
>fundamentally different in that Dore is a language, while AVS is an
>application.

I believe AVS is implemented on PHIGS, which Stardent (before PEX) was
supporting through its proprietary 3D extension to X -- XFDI.

For instance, the ESV port of AVS was quite simple because 3D graphics
on the ESV workstation is supported through PEX which has a PHIGS API.

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.