[net.cooks] zapping pepper oil

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) (05/31/85)

The local newspaper's food section claims that if you get hot pepper oil
on your hands, it can be neutralized with a weak solution of water and
chlorine bleach, to avoid later zapping your eyes or contact lenses.

nosmo@pyuxqq.UUCP (P Valdata) (06/03/85)

According to an article in Scientific American, the proportion
should be one part chlorine bleach to five parts water.
You should just dip your hands in and then rinse them to neutralize
the effects of the hot pepper.

This was mentioned in a book review in the June issue.

Pat Valdata
pyuxh!nosmo

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (06/03/85)

> The local newspaper's food section claims that if you get hot pepper oil
> on your hands, it can be neutralized with a weak solution of water and
> chlorine bleach, to avoid later zapping your eyes or contact lenses.

A couple of other helpful hints along the same lines:

To remove garlic from your hands, wash your hands with generous amounts
of salt.

When peeling fresh shrimp (especially VERY fresh shrimp), put some
alum in a bowl of water and dip your fingers into it very often; it
will instantly remove the 'slime' from the shrimp and allow you to
work much faster without slippage.

One last wierdity that I tried yesterday in a fit of boredom -- The next
time you have a hot dog (assuming you eat them anyway), try putting
nothing on the bun but a light (emphasis on light) splash or line of
sesame oil -- I thought it was quite good.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (06/18/85)

In article <720@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) writes:
>To remove garlic from your hands, wash your hands with generous amounts
>of salt.
Yeah, but be careful - it is possible for your hands to absorb the salt
through the skin, and then swell way up.  I guess the preventative is to
rinse thoroughly, then rinse again (got to get the salt to diffuse back
out of your cells).

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)