[comp.graphics] Resizing Clothes

mccool@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael McCool) (06/22/91)

I've got an interesting problem looking for a solution.  My aunt wants
to start a business producing custom clothes for horse riding... they have
to be matched to each individual rider.  Does anyone know of computer
software that can take a set of measurements and resize a pattern?

This problem is not as trivial as it sounds, since some knowledge of
anatomy and common sense is needed to arrive at a good resizing.  The
problem is particularly interesting when the patches have curved edges.
It is extremely tedious to do by hand, however.

So, any ideas?  Any pointers to software (commercial or PD) that can do
this???

Michael McCool@dgp.utoronto.ca
Dynamic Graphics Project, University of Toronto

falk@peregrine.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun21.173542.12264@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> mccool@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael McCool) writes:

>I've got an interesting problem looking for a solution.  My aunt wants
>to start a business producing custom clothes for horse riding... they have
>to be matched to each individual rider.  Does anyone know of computer
>software that can take a set of measurements and resize a pattern?

I wrote a program to do that once.  It was quite clever, you'd adjust
some sliders on the screen that corresponded to the person's
measurements, and the pattern would reshape itself interactively.

I was going to port it to a PC and make myself rich, but then I
realized that you need a *big* plotter to print the pattern out when
you're done, and how many PC owners can afford one?
		-ed falk, sun microsystems
		 sun!falk, falk@sun.com

In the future, somebody will quote Andy Warhol every 15 minutes.