[net.cooks] Mustard

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (06/07/85)

In article <713@druak.UUCP> segal@druak.UUCP (SegalA) writes:
>A friend hev%started us using a a mixture of
>soy sauce and (yes) mustard.  No special proportions,

   Hopefully, this discussion won't be quite as, ah, interesting as that of
boiling/freezing water, but here goes...

   What kind of mustard, Mr/Ms Segal?  The way I see it, there are 4 kinds
of mustard, each with their own uses:

   American - Dubbed by certain of my friends as "icky yellow mustard."
              Suitable only for hotdogs or fast-food hamburgers.

   Dijon-style - Excellent on ham sandwiches and much, much more.

   Dusseldorf-style - The ONLY mustard to use on bratwurst;  also good for
                      home-grilled burgers.

   Hot - For use (sparingly) with egg rolls.

Comments, additions, ridicule, etc. welcomed.

--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

mcrk@rruxo.UUCP (06/10/85)

[hot!]

Also try honey mustard.
Not too hot or sweet, goes well on ham, also hotdogs.

segal@druak.UUCP (SegalA) (06/11/85)

>   What kind of mustard, Mr/Ms Segal?  The way I see it, there are 4 kinds
>
>   American - Dubbed by certain of my friends as "icky yellow mustard."
>   Dijon-style - Excellent on ham sandwiches and much, much more.
>   Dusseldorf-style - The ONLY mustard to use on bratwurst;  also good for
>   Hot - For use (sparingly) with egg rolls.

I usually have Guldens brown mustard around the house. My guess is its
similar to your "Dusseldorf-style".  There hasn't been French's yellow
glop in my house for ages.
    The intent of the suggestion, however, (since no proportions were given)
is that experimentation is encouraged.

Al Segal
AT&T-IS, Denver
{allegra,ihnp4}!druak!segal
(303) 538-5046

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (06/13/85)

>   What kind of mustard, Mr/Ms Segal?  The way I see it, there are 4 kinds
>
>   American - Dubbed by certain of my friends as "icky yellow mustard."
>   Dijon-style - Excellent on ham sandwiches and much, much more.
>   Dusseldorf-style - The ONLY mustard to use on bratwurst;  also good for
>   Hot - For use (sparingly) with egg rolls.

There are actually about as many kinds of mustard as there are of lasagna.
A couple of years ago Gourmet (or was it Cuisine?) magazine had a feature
article on mustard, with many recipes using prepared mustard (mostly from
the Dijon region of France), as well as numerous recipes for home-made
mustard.  My wife thought to make some for her boss for Christmas, and
called me in for quality control (she doesn't like the wonderful stuff).
It turned out to be trivial to make, and extremely good.  The main
ingredients are (yep) dry mustard, salt, vinegar and other liquid (water,
flat beer, wine).  Mustard seed may be used after soaking it in very hot
water for 1/2 hour (makes grainy style mustards - yum!).  Several recipes
called for brown sugar, although a bit more than I care for, it does add
a very nice dimension to the sauce.  When you go to mix it (easiest in a
blender, although a whisk will do the trick if you don't have whole seeds)
have the sterilized jars ready to go.  Mix it up and pour immediately into
the jars.  When first mixed, it should be pretty soupy (not very thick).
Don't worry, it thickens in a hurry (say 1/2 hour).  It is also likely to
be pretty hot if your mustard is fresh.  "Icky yellow mustard" is mostly
turmeric, a "spice" whose main use seems to be turning things yellow (your
hands, the mixing bowl, ...).  Few of the recipes called for any cooking,
and none called for sterilization after pouring the mustard into the jars.
Just cover and put in a dark, cool place.  I'll see if I can dig up some of
the exact proportions (I recall something like 3/4 cup liquid to 1 cup dry
mustard, 1/2 tsp salt).  It really is very easy to make, you can experiment
and adjust to suit your taste(s), and it beats most store-boughten varieties
by a country mile.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) (06/13/85)

            Try a few tablespoons of honey mixed into a jar of Grey Poupon.
It seems to taste better in the "country style" grainy version of this
brand.  This mixture tastes pretty good on hot dogs.  Better than the yellow
paint stuff anyway......

Bobby L. @ MGH

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/18/85)

There is an entire cookbook devoted to mustard(s). I checked it out of
the St. Louis Public Library some months ago, and used the info in it to
decide which mustards to buy. I believe that the title was simply
MUSTARD, but it might have been "THE MUSTARD COOKBOOK", "THE MUSTARD
BOOK", or something equally uninventive. It is a trade paperback, and I
belive it was about 150 pages long or thereabouts. Check your local libraries.

It contained, in addition to recipes, comparative ratings, by brand, of
various mustards, and descriptions of each of the many varieties.

Will

jws@dartvax.UUCP (John W. Scott) (06/19/85)

   I am looking for a good hot and sweet mustard recipie.  I love the genre
both as a spread for sandwiches and as a dip for chicken nuggets etc..
There are several good local brands, but I am sick and tired of paying
"gourmet" mustard prices.  I have tried winging it with moderate success,
but my attempts still lack a little something.  Any recipies would be greatly
appreciated.

             -- John Scott