[net.cooks] Mothers and oatmeal additives.

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (06/11/85)

> Also, my mom (excuse me, mah maw) used to get us to eat oatmeal
> by adding green food color and red hots (looked like Christmas).  I
> confess that when milk was added, it looked less than appetizing.  (but
> the red hots really are good in oatmeal)

My mother used to add raisins to get me and my cousin to eat (ee-yuck)
oatmeal.  I wonder what other things were used in this fashion?  I wonder
why mothers feed their kids oatmeal.....  I wonder if any adult voluntarily
eats oatmeal.....

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Laurie Sefton, C/O chuqui) (06/12/85)

Now wait a minute...

I not only ate oatmeal voluntarily as a child, I still eat it today (when
it's not quite this hot out, of course).

Ways of eating it?  How about:

milk and sugar
butter and brown sugar
butter and *real* maple syrup
butter, sugar, cooked apples and raisins
butter and cinnamon sugar

Good points about oatmeal;  it has more protein than the other
(non-adulterated) hot cereals, it has *lots* of fiber, and people of
Scottish origin (who eat lots of oatmeal) were shown by a study published
in Sales and Marketing Management (sometime around 1983) to have the
highest family income of any group (of European origin) of US immigrants.

So there!  :-)

Laurie Sefton

--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

The offices were very nice, and the clients were only raping the land, and
then, of course, there was the money...

nemo@rochester.UUCP (06/12/85)

> My mother used to add raisins to get me and my cousin to eat (ee-yuck)
> oatmeal.  I wonder what other things were used in this fashion?  I wonder
> why mothers feed their kids oatmeal.....  I wonder if any adult voluntarily
> eats oatmeal.....

I do still oaccaisionally eat the stuff when it's cold and wet outside (and
I'm out of everything else!).  Raisins and walnuts (or most any other nut or
roasted seed) make it more than tolerable.  We keep oatmeal around mainly
for use in oatmeal bread, though.  Try _Beard on Bread_ for a good recipe.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (06/12/85)

In article <2615@decwrl.UUCP> kolling@decwrl.UUCP writes:

>My mother used to add raisins to get me and my cousin to eat (ee-yuck)
>oatmeal.  I wonder what other things were used in this fashion?  I wonder
>why mothers feed their kids oatmeal.....  I wonder if any adult voluntarily
>eats oatmeal.....

   My mother cleverly hid the oatmeal AND raisins in cookies.  I still
voluntarily not only eat but *enjoy* oatmeal this way.
--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

slack@wxlvax.UUCP (Tom Slack) (06/12/85)

> why mothers feed their kids oatmeal.....  I wonder if any adult voluntarily
> eats oatmeal.....

I actually like oatmeal.
Also Cracked wheat (course ground wheat cooked into a mush),
steamed wheat (unground wheat pressure cooked until tender),
Corn Meal Mush (course ground corn meal, usually yellow, made into a mush),
and hot grits (course ground hominy meal, made into a mush usually very thick).
Wheat farina (Cream of Wheat) is ok, but is not as hearty as the above.

Variations on serving are:
1. Hot in a bowl with milk or cream and:
  a.  Brown sugar and cinamon.
  b.  Maple Syrup (Vermont Grade A dark amber prefered)
  c.  Molassus (sp?)
  d.  Honey (especially good with wheat)
2. Hot on a plate with:
  a.  Butter and salt.
  b.  Cheese (especially a strong swiss)
3. In thousands of casseroles.
4. Allowed to cool then cut into strips and fryed in Hot Fat
   Served with Catsup.
5. I am sure there are others.

I am told various rices are also good all of these ways,
but I have no experience with other than white and brown long grain rice.

By the way, Oatmeal is more difficult to fry, but it is possible.
You have to cook it longer first to get a more geletinous texture when cool.
Then it will hold together when cut.

Tom Slack

PS
 Of the above list, cracked and steamed wheat are the highest in glutin and
therefore take the longest for the body to get used to when one has been
on a diet of more processed foods and meat.  Therefore, take some time
if you are trying them and do not immediately eat a lot if you have never had
it before.
Many people who have allergic reactions to glutin, are really not permanently
allergic but simply ate too much too quickly.  After a while the body can
get accustomed to more.

asente@Cascade.ARPA (06/12/85)

How can anyone not like oatmeal?  In the winter I get up, start the
oatmeal, and when I get out of the shower there's a nice hot breakfast
waiting for me.

Maybe it's just my sodium addiction, but I find that if you leave the
salt out of oatmeal you get unappetizing glop.

How to eat it:
* with RAISINS!!!!  Put them in at the start; they become plump and
delicious and flavor all the oatmeal.
* with any other dried fruit you happen to have around
* with butter
* with honey
* with brown sugar
* with maple syrup (real, of course)
* with jam, jelly, or preserves
* with cinnamon and/or nutmeg and/or allspice
* with almost any combination of the above

If you're really feeling decadent, try it with heavy cream instead of
milk!

Maybe it's just my sodium addiction, but I find that if you leave the
salt out of oatmeal you get unappetizing glop.  Also, the oatmeal comes
out very differently depending on whether you start with the oats in
cold water or add them to the boiling water.  I much prefer starting
with cold water; the texture is much creamier.  Besides, it takes a
shorter time to cook that way :-3).

By the way, what we know as oatmeal is really rolled oats.  Real
oatmeal looks like cornmeal and takes hours to cook.  Rolled oats are
steamed before being rolled and this makes them much faster cooking; it
was the discovery of this process that got Quaker its start.

	-paul asente
	    asente@cascade.arpa		decwrl!glacier!cascade!asente

"Nothing is better for thee than me."

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (06/13/85)

I would like give fair representation to the opposite sex :-)

My FATHER was the oatmeal pusher in our family.  He still consumes
vast quantities of the stuff.  He loves to make it thick and pasty
with lots of texture provided by cracked wheat, wheat germ, etc.
Digesting this stuff is like digesting a rock.  One good thing,
it sits in your stomach so long that you don't need to eat lunch!

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (06/13/85)

In article <2839@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Laurie Sefton, C/O chuqui) writes:
>I not only ate oatmeal voluntarily as a child, I still eat it today (when
>it's not quite this hot out, of course).
>Ways of eating it?  How about:
with chocolate, in Chocolate Lumps, for which you need:

1 lb chocolate (I prefer bittersweet with more chocolate than sugar)
1 lb oatmeal or rolled oats
1/2 to 1 lb Interesting Stuff to add flavor (such as dried fruit, mixed peel,
	or nuts).  If you really want to avoid additives, use only oats.
1 oz. hot water

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
Add 1 oz. hot water.  This releases a strong chocolate aroma, which
is guaranteed to attract friends.
Add 3/4 lb oats, then add more until almost all of the chocolate has
coated the oats.
Add the Interesting Stuff.
Spoon onto waxed paper with a teaspoon, or put into ice cube trays.
Cool while fending off chocolate addicts who feel their oats.
Eat self-righteously, knowing that you are combining nutrition
with decadence.

--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

paul@osu-eddie.UUCP (Paul Placeway) (06/13/85)

In article <2615@decwrl.UUCP> kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) writes:
>I wonder if any adult voluntarily eats oatmeal.....

Yes.  I *love* the stuff.  It's great if you stir it for all the
cooking time so that it gets really gooey and sticky.

				Paul Placeway
				...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!paul
				paul@ohio-state (CSNet)

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (06/14/85)

I love the stuff myself.  I have been known to whip up a
serving in the late evening for a snack.  You can add all
kinds of things to oatmeal such as fruits, wheatgerm, maple
syrup, brown sugar, salt, and on and on.  I also find Cream of
Wheat great with wheat germ added.  Perhaps my English background
is still lurking in my tastebuds.  I like it thick and steamy so
it will sit there in my middle till about 3 in the afternoon.
T. C. Wheeler

keith@telesoft.UUCP (Keith Shillington @seventh) (06/14/85)

>> Also, my mom (excuse me, mah maw) used to get us to eat oatmeal
>> by adding green food color and red hots (looked like Christmas).
>
>My mother used to add raisins to get me and my cousin to eat (ee-yuck) oatmeal.
>.....  I wonder if any adult voluntarily eats oatmeal.....

Darn tootin'! A close friend made me a delightful bowl of the stuff
last night, and I learned that putting the dry stuff in with the water
COLD makes it much creamier.  She also added some delightful
rasberries and brown sugar which made the "dinner snack" a true delight.

If y'all don't like hot cereal, y'all 'r missin' a right sensuous delight!

Keith Shillington

brad@kontron.UUCP (Brad Yearwood) (06/15/85)

> I wonder if any adult voluntarily
> eats oatmeal.....

Sure.  It's great even with no sugar, milk, butter, salt, or other
additives.  If you hated it as a kid (any food, not just oatmeal),
try it again as an adult.  You may be surprised.  Bean-like side
effects aside, it's good, nutritious, cheap, and convenient.

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (06/18/85)

> In article <2615@decwrl.UUCP> kolling@decwrl.UUCP writes:
> >
> >My mother used to add raisins to get me and my cousin to eat (ee-yuck)
> >oatmeal.  I wonder what other things were used in this fashion?  I wonder
> >why mothers feed their kids oatmeal.....  I wonder if any adult voluntarily
> >eats oatmeal.....
>
>    My mother cleverly hid the oatmeal AND raisins in cookies.  I still
> voluntarily not only eat but *enjoy* oatmeal this way.

MY mother used to add milk and sugar to my oatmeal.  No salt (I come from
a long line of water retainers and other types of people who thrive on
low-sodium diets), and NO raisins (EEEEEE-YUCK!!!!!).  My mother can't
even hide raisins in oatmeal cookies to get me to eat them!

--Lynn
...tymix!figmo

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (06/18/85)

In article <kontron.245> brad@kontron.UUCP writes:
>> I wonder if any adult voluntarily eats oatmeal....
>Sure.  It's great even with no sugar, milk, butter, salt,

 I hate oatmeal when it's made creamy (alias slimy :-),
 but love it when it's made by cooking with a minimum
 of water ie: when cooking time is up, there is no liquid left.
 This leaves the oatmeal with a firm texture and a better taste
 (This is tricky - too much water and it over cooks, too little & it burns)
 Of course, serve with milk and *pure* maple syrup.

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (06/20/85)

> In article <2615@decwrl.UUCP> kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) writes:
> >I wonder if any adult voluntarily eats oatmeal.....
>
> Yes.  I *love* the stuff.  It's great if you stir it for all the
> cooking time so that it gets really gooey and sticky.
>
> 				Paul Placeway

Oatmeal is the food that sticks to your ribs.  When you put it on the outside.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (06/22/85)

brad@kontron writes:
>>> I wonder if any adult voluntarily eats oatmeal....

My boyfriend eats oatmeal like regular cereal.  Pour it into a bowl and
add milk and sugar.  I guess I should admit that I used to eat oatmeal
as a snack with just some sugar sprinkled on it.  Now I like it cooked.
I'm of the cold-water start with raisens school.
					Beth Katz