[comp.unix.questions] elementary help with curses, please?

mmc@well.UUCP (Matthew McClure) (12/04/86)

....obeisance to the bugs of yore ...

	I'm trying to develop a simple program using curses, with
the curious limitation of having only an online manual.  Can
someone explain how to use getstr(str) so it thinks a <cr>
represents the end of the string and goes on to the next part of
the program?  Thanks. ... mail replies are fine, if this seems
too trivial to bother the net with...

Matthew McClure		{hoptoad, ptsfa, lll-crg, hplabs}!well!mmc
International Technology Development Corporation
1627 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94123	(415) 673-6370

rlk@chinet.UUCP (Richard Klappal) (12/07/86)

In article <2157@well.UUCP> mmc@well.UUCP (Matthew McClure) writes:
>  Can
>someone explain how to use getstr(str) so it thinks a <cr>
>represents the end of the string and goes on to the next part of
>the program?

I had the same problem about a year ago, and posted the same request.

Ken Arnold replied (paraphrasing) that getstr() and its close
relatives were not used by anyone when he did his development, and
thus they had never been fully debugged.

I think your best bet is to:
	do your own I/O parsing with getch()   or
	fix getstr() yourself.

I used the former 'fix'.

--
---
UUCP: ..!ihnp4!chinet!uklpl!rlk || MCIMail: rklappal || Compuserve: 74106,1021