[comp.unix.questions] troff 'Keep' Question

dje@datacube.UUCP (12/04/86)

Does  anyone  know  a  trick  for  fooling  troff  into  removing its
proportional spacing temporarily?   The  'keep' commands  .DS .DE are
still proportionally spaced in troff.

We've just gotten an  Apple laser  printer, and  I'm really impressed
with  the  *immediate*  improvement that  troff plus  a laser printer
gives over nroff plus a Spinwriter.  No  changes in  the source file!
We  now have  multiple fonts,  bold, italics,  etc, plus proportional
spacing.  It really looks typeset, not typed.

All is not perfect, however.  Over the years of using nroff and other
word processors, my fellow  employees and  I have  built many tables,
drawings, and such with spaces,  lines, etc.   They  are dependent on
having no proportional spacing.  I've learned tbl, which works great,
but since we are faced with modifying about two thousand pages of old
documents, it would be really  helpful to  find a  troff command that
would just turn off proportional spacing for a table.  I  think of it
as 'enter typewriter mode'.
				Dave Erickson
------------------------
Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644
------------------------
[ihnp4 | mirror]!datacube!dje

In article <106500001@datacube> dje@datacube.UUCP writes:
>Does  anyone  know  a  trick  for  fooling  troff  into  removing its
>proportional spacing temporarily?

What you need to do is to use a "constant width" font.
Usually this is called "CW", but there are others;
font availability depends on your troff implementation.

'\"	Constant-Width font macros, supplied by Arnold Robbins of Georgia Tech.
.ie t \{ .de CW
.vs 10.5p
.ta 16m/3u 32m/3u 48m/3u 64m/3u 80m/3u 96m/3u
.nf
.ft CW
.cs CW 18
.. \}
.el \{ .de CW
.nf
.. \}
.ie t \{ .de CN
.ta 0.5i 1i 1.5i 2i 2.5i 3i 3.5i 4i 4.5i 5i 5.5i 6i
.vs
.fi
.cs CW
.ft
.. \}
.el \{ .de CN
.fi
.. \}

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/07/86)

From: dje@datacube.UUCP
>Does  anyone  know  a  trick  for  fooling  troff  into  removing its
>proportional spacing temporarily?   The  'keep' commands  .DS .DE are
>still proportionally spaced in troff.

It's not a trick, use the .cs command, as in:

	.cs 20 R

and see if that doesn't point you towards the solution, you'll have to
diddle the '20' etc, probably write some cheapshot macros or strings.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

adam@mtund.UUCP (Adam V. Reed) (12/07/86)

> Does  anyone  know  a  trick  for  fooling  troff  into  removing its
> proportional spacing temporarily?
> 				Dave Erickson

Look up the .cs directive in your troff manual.
						Adam Reed (mtund!adam)

alastair@axis.UUCP (Alastair Adamson) (12/08/86)

In article <106500001@datacube> dje@datacube.UUCP writes:

>Does  anyone  know  a  trick  for  fooling  troff  into  removing its
>proportional spacing temporarily?   The  'keep' commands  .DS .DE are
>still proportionally spaced in troff.
>
>				Dave Erickson

If your printer accepts it, you can use a constant-width font
in which all characters have the same width - this is used typically
when including example of programs since the output looks much
more like that which would be produced on a line-printer. The command
	.ft CW
changes to this font, if it is mounted.
Alternatively, the request .cs can be used to set a constant
character width, where you specify yourself the width to be used.