[comp.unix.questions] Unix on Univac 1160

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (12/03/86)

One of my friends has a Sperry (Unisys now, I guess) Univac 1160 and he
wants to know if there is a version of UNIX(tm) (either 4.[23] BSD or
System V.2 available for it.  He would also like tcp/ip if possible.

I would appreciate hearing from you, if anyone has any information on
who sells UNIX for this beast.

Adanks in thvanks,

pk

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/05/86)

In article <369@eneevax.UUCP>, phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) writes:

> One of my friends has a Sperry (Unisys now, I guess) Univac 1160 and he
> wants to know if there is a version of UNIX(tm) (either 4.[23] BSD or
> System V.2 available for it.  He would also like tcp/ip if possible.

Univac (er Sperry, er Unisys) had UNIX as a processor under EXEC-8 (er
OS-1100) but it was a bit of a dog.  I don't know if this is still a
product or not.

-Ron

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (12/05/86)

WRT UNIX on Univac 1100 systems (well... Sperry?    Unisys?) under
OS-1100 (Exec 8 for us *oldtimers* -- did I really say *that*?)...

Unisys markets System V.? for 1100 series machines under the
name SX/1100.  It places a *large* load on the memory allocator,
which in turn can make system response seem "doggy".  Another
"product" called PEF (Performance Enhancement Feature) corrects
this my increasing the efficiency of the memory allocator.  This is
[in my opinion] a *bug fix*, but they still charge for it.  [I think
their Marketing people were trying to emulate Itty Bitty on this one.]
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
UUCP: {ihnp4|uwvax|uwmacc}!uwmcsd1!jgd
INTERNET: jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (12/14/86)

In article <1540@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:

> Unisys markets System V.? for 1100 series machines under the name SX/1100.

? = standard SVR2 except for shell layers, SVR3 expected 4th quarter 87.

> [something about it being a dog..]
> Another "product" called PEF (Performance Enhancement Feature) corrects
> this by increasing the efficiency of the memory allocator.  This is
> [in my opinion] a *bug fix*, but they still charge for it.

PEP is algorithms that deal with large process queues, and is even useful
if one is running 140 or more simultanious users on a NON-Unix Unisys...

> [I think their Marketing people were trying to emulate Itty Bitty
> on this one.]

Probably true...  But Big Blue made Big Bux that way, and the Unisys guys
have mortgages and hungry children to feed just like we do...
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland UniSys 1100/92