[comp.unix.questions] More LN03 questions

dlong@sdsu.UUCP (12/10/86)

Our LN03 works OK for text, but I can only get 8K work of graphics
sent before it starts giving me a 'band too complex' error.  I think
it might be the limited amount of memory in the printer.  If it helps,
we've got BSD4.3 on a VAX 11/780.
--
Dean Long
San Diego State Univ.

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (12/12/86)

In article <2111@sdsu.UUCP> dlong@sdsu.UUCP (Dean Long) writes:
>Our LN03 works OK for text, but I can only get 8K work of graphics
>sent before it starts giving me a 'band too complex' error.  I think
>it might be the limited amount of memory in the printer.  If it helps,
>we've got BSD4.3 on a VAX 11/780.
>--
>Dean Long

The LN03 can't do much more that printer emulation or sparse graphics with
the installed RAM.  You need to buy a couple of the RAM expansion cartridges
to have real fun.  This also lets you rotate the built-in fonts, which seems
to mysteriously fail otherwise.

There might be a newer modem with more RAM, check with DEC...

jon@gaia.UUCP (Jonathan Corbet) (12/14/86)

>Our LN03 works OK for text, but I can only get 8K work of graphics
>sent before it starts giving me a 'band too complex' error.  I think
>it might be the limited amount of memory in the printer.  If it helps,
>we've got BSD4.3 on a VAX 11/780.

This is a well known problem with the LN03.  It does help to get more memory
cartridges (at ~$500 for 128K!).  The real solution, though, is to get the
upgrade to the LN03+.  After doing that, you graphics can be as complex as
you want (there are still problems with the basic LN03 even with two
RAM cartridges).  Further, you get full 300 dpi, tek-compatible (almost)
graphics.

--
Jonathan Corbet
{hao | nbires}!gaia!jon