[comp.unix.questions] UNIX file extensions

devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) (12/11/86)

  Have file extensions for UNIX ever been codified?  That is, everyone
"knows" that a file ending with ".c" means it is a C source file, but
that is by convention and because the cc command enforces it by doing
certain things if the file ends that way.  Below is a list of file
extensions that I've come across.

  Does anyone know of other or multiple uses for an extension?

Bob Devine

extension used by
--------- ------------------
    .a    library file
    .b    unused (BCPL source file?)
    .c    C file
    .C    compact'ed file
    .d    directories
    .e    EFL file
    .f    Fortran file
    .g    unused
    .h    include file
    .i    unused
    .j    unused
    .k    unused
    .l    lisp or lex file
    .m    Modula file
    .m2   Modula-2 file
    .n    unused
    .o    object file
    .out  executable (as output), profile output, or nohup output file
    .p    Pascal file
    .q    unused
    .r    RatFor file
    .s    assembler file
    .sh   shell script file
    .t    unused
    .u    unused
    .v    unused
    .x    unused
    .y    YACC file
    .z    unused
    .Z    compress'ed file

cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (12/13/86)

I don't know if these are really enforced anywhere, but how about

	.i   Berkeley Pascal include source file (I've seen it used as such)

	.f77 Fortran 77 source file

	.el (or .ell) Lisp (probably Franz) source file

I must plead guilty to only having seen these used, and never having used
them myself (I program in Pascal on another machine, I don't program in
Fortran, and I use Lisp on another machine).  Therefore, I don't know
about the unversality of these conventions.

Chet Ramey

ARPANET:  cwruacm%case@csnet-relay.arpa         (or @relay.cs.net)
	  ramey%cwru-20%case@csnet-relay.arpa
CSNET:    cwruacm@case  or  ramey%cwru-20@case
UUCP:     {...}!decvax!cwruecmp!cwruacm
	  {...}!decvax!cwruecmp!ramey@cwru-20
BITNET:   ramey%cwru20@cu20b

	"But we decide which is right
	 and which is an illusion..."
				The Moody Blues

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) (12/13/86)

In article <1694@cwruecmp.UUCP> cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (Kronen Insultants) writes:

>I don't know if these are really enforced anywhere, but how about
>
>	.el (or .ell) Lisp (probably Franz) source file

I think Franz uses .l (been a long time since I looked). GNU Emacs
uses .el for Elisp and .elc for compiled Elisp. It "enforces" this by

Similarly, Gosling/Unipress Emacs uses .ml for Mock Lisp files.

For yet more, Scheme uses .scm and CLU uses .clu. I think the Arizona
Little SmallTalk uses .st. Icon uses .icn.

But for Unix, the point is kind of moot. The only "enforcement" is
what certain application programs do with them. I've compiled
pseudo-devices by symlinking them to "gort.c" in the current
directory.

Since such tricks will always work, and nothing in the OS enforces
those typings (thank GOD!), what's the point of worrying about what
the extensions are? Use the contents. Compress checks for them, and a
file system browser I wrote back in the v6 days did the same kind of
thing. Much more reliable.

After all, EVERYONE knows that .s files are SLOGO source, right?

	<mike

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (12/14/86)

In article <92@vianet.UUCP>, devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) writes:

>   Have file extensions for UNIX ever been codified?  That is, everyone

>   Does anyone know of other or multiple uses for an extension?

     .d    directories - on what system?
     .i    preprocessed but not compiled 'C' program
     .z    packed file
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!dgis!bms-at!stuart>

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/16/86)

In article <92@vianet.UUCP> devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) writes:

>  Have file extensions for UNIX ever been codified?  That is, everyone
>
>  Does anyone know of other or multiple uses for an extension?

>    .i    unused
Typically a preprocessed C file (output of cpp)

>    .n    unused
Nroff source file.

>    .t    unused
Output of nroff after feeding it the .n file.

-Fred

Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976