[comp.unix.questions] rlogin won't login on uVAX Ultrix 1.2

richk@pogo.UUCP (Richard G. Knowles) (12/16/86)

  I need some pointers on where to look for the solution to the following:

When I 'rlogin' to my Ultrix V1.2 machine (VAXStation II/GPX) I can't get a
complete connection.  What happens is I get the 'last login ...' message,
the 'motd' and then the connection closes! My .cshrc is not executed.  An
interesting feature of this is that when the connection closes, a login
prompt appears on the console of the machine.  The failure occurs even when
an 'rlogin' is attempted to the machine itself (even with the ethernet
connection pulled).  All other network commands work correctly (rsh,
ruptime, rwho ..).

advTHANKSance

--
------------ Whatever I say is my fault and no one elses! ------------------

Richard G. Knowles     tektronix!pogo!richk  -or-  tektronix!tigger!richk
Tektronix, Inc., Wilsonville, Or 97070             (503) 685-3860

pinkas@mipos3.UUCP (Israel Pinkas) (12/18/86)

In article <2974@pogo.UUCP> richk@pogo.UUCP (Richard G. Knowles) writes:
>When I 'rlogin' to my Ultrix V1.2 machine (VAXStation II/GPX) I can't get a
>complete connection.  What happens is I get the 'last login ...' message,
>the 'motd' and then the connection closes! My .cshrc is not executed.  An
>interesting feature of this is that when the connection closes, a login
>prompt appears on the console of the machine.  The failure occurs even when
>an 'rlogin' is attempted to the machine itself (even with the ethernet
>connection pulled).  All other network commands work correctly (rsh,
>ruptime, rwho ..).

I suspect that the problem is caused in your .login file which is not read
by rsh.  (ruptime and rwho do not need to create shells so they should
always work.)  I suspect you are doing something like tryint to redirect
console I/O and this is failing.

-Israel
UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com