[comp.unix.questions] question on uucp connect failure

miorelli@pwa-b.UUCP (BoB Miorelli) (12/16/86)

I'm trying to connect to another site via uucp.  The other site
can call me and connect fine -- all files transfer OK, but I
can't seem to make connection with him.  The dial goes OK, login
goes OK, but uucp startup gives a protocol error with him
logging an error saying that site pwa-b is not vaild for
connection or something to that effect.  Since he sends me a reject
in the protocol (a capital R), the connection goes away.  Obviously
he needs to put my machine name in a file somewhere.  He's a novice
and I'm not familiar with his version of uucp and he's an hour drive
away.   The specifics:

my system:  VAX 11/780, Berleley 4.2, standard Berkeley uucp
his sys:    AT&T 3B1 (UNIX-PC #7300) Version 3.0 of the OS.  Standard uucp
            on that system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

-->BoB Miorelli, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
           also, H & R Block tax preparer and Instructor

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (12/18/86)

[Problem with remote system rejecting uucp connection]

He probably needs to put your system name in his USERFILE.  This file
ordinarily lives in /usr/lib/uucp.  Berkeley uucp allows a "catch-all"
entry, named "remote", which you would ordinarily point to some innocuous
directory like /usr/spool/uucppublic.  But AT&T uucp doesn't support
this feature, which means you have to put an entry in your USERFILE
for every site you talk to.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (12/20/86)

In article <784@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
> AT&T uucp doesn't support this feature [a catch-all entry in USERFILE]
> which means you have to put an entry in your USERFILE
> for every site you talk to.

Are you sure.  What form (version) of uucp.  I thought an entry like

, /usr/spool/uucppublic

would allow access to PUBDIR for any user or any system that did not
match an entry in the list above it.  (At least on V7 uucp).  The
documentation and papers I have from System III agree with this also.

-paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	 UUCP: {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul
Devon Computer Services  COMPUSERVE: 76176,502