[comp.unix.questions] DECnet Ultrix/TCP

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (12/18/86)

Can anyone tell me how DecNet Ultrix and the VMS TCP/IP software perform?

I have been told that DecNet Ultrix is supposed to be pretty good but that
VMS TCP/IP support is not so hot?   Any comments?

On an ethernet with both Unix TCP/IP and VAX VMS Decnet systems attached,
which would be a better bridge between the two protocols?  An Ultrix system
running DecNet Ultrix or a VMS system runing DecNet VMS TCP/IP software?

Greg Corson
seismo!iuvax!kangaro!milo

falk@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/19/86)

>Can anyone tell me how DecNet Ultrix and the VMS TCP/IP software perform?

>Greg Corson

VMS TCP/IP?? I wasn't aware that they supported it- in fact, members of my
department have been invited to a "non-disclosure" meeting with DEC at which
they allegedly will be told that DEC is *planning* to support tcp/ip at
some (near) future time   (but don't tell anybody I told you this, OK? I
found out by a note slipped under my door by a strange woman with a tan
trench coat and dark glasses and a hat pulled down over her eyes :-))

         Connie Falk

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!falk
ARPANET: falk%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	 CSNET:	 falk%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
ICBM:	 40 07 N / 88 13 W
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801
AT&T:	 217-333-8050

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (12/26/86)

In article <176200003@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> falk@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>Can anyone tell me how DecNet Ultrix and the VMS TCP/IP software perform?
>
>>Greg Corson
>
>VMS TCP/IP?? I wasn't aware that they supported it- in fact, members of my
>department have been invited to a "non-disclosure" meeting with DEC at which
>they allegedly will be told that DEC is *planning* to support tcp/ip at
>some (near) future time   (but don't tell anybody I told you this, OK? I
>found out by a note slipped under my door by a strange woman with a tan
>trench coat and dark glasses and a hat pulled down over her eyes :-))
>
>         Connie Falk
>
>UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!falk
>ARPANET: falk%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	 CSNET:	 falk%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
>ICBM:	 40 07 N / 88 13 W
>US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801
>AT&T:	 217-333-8050

DEC does resell the Wollongong implementation of TCP/IP for those wealthy VMS
users who can afford it.  I do not have any experience with this package
as my previous employers decided the price was a bit steep, (if my memory is
correct ~25K per cpu), and went for the Exelan hardware/software instead.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich@penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.