[comp.unix.questions] File extensions - final posting

devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) (12/22/86)

  Here is the amended list of commonly used file extensions.  It
is my original list modified by the suggestions many folks sent.

Bob Devine

-----

Conventions for UNIX file extensions:

    .a    library file made by 'ar'
    .awk  awk script
    .b    unused
    .bib  Bibliographic data file
    .C    compact'ed file
    .c    C source file
    .cas  CAST language scripts
    .clu  CLU file
    .cpio cpio file
    .csh  Cshell script
    .d    directories
    .dvi  device-independent text formatter output
    .e    EFL source file
    .el   GNU Emacs Elisp file
    .elc  compiled GNU Emacs Elisp file
    .f    Fortran source file
    .f77  Fortran 77 source file
    .g    unused
    .h    include file
    .i    output of "cc -P"
    .i    Berkely Pascal include file
    .icn  Icon source code
    .j    unused
    .k    unused
    .l    lex source file
    .l    lisp source file
    .log  log file
    .m    Modula source file
    .m2   Modula-2 source file
    .me   nroff/troff source using e macros
    .ml   Gosling/Unipress Emacs Mock Lisp file
    .mm   nroff/troff source using m macros
    .ms   nroff/troff source using s macros
    .n    nroff source
    .nro  nroff source
    .o    object file
    .out  executable ('as' output) file
    .out  nohup output file
    .out  profile output file
    .p    Pascal source file
    .p    Prolog source file
    .pi   PILOT language file
    .q    unused
    .r    RatFor source file
    .s    assembler file
    .scm  Scheme file
    .sh   Bourne shell script file
    .shar shell archive
    .t    text file
    .tar  archive created by tar
    .tex  TeX source
    .tro  troff source
    .txt  ascii file
    .u    unused
    .v    unused
    .x    unused
    .y    YACC file
    .z    pack'ed file
    .Z    compress'ed file

    ,v    RCS delta file

   ~.s    Prefix for SCCS archives

contributors:

Tony Hansen (pegasus!hansen)
Jeff Smith  (ritcv!jxs7451)
(samira!kahless)
Bob Leffler (ahxenix!bob)
tanner andrews (ki4pv!tanner)
Eric S. Raymond (snark!eric)
Rich Kulawiec (j.cc.purdue.edu!rsk)
(cblpe!jwd)
Chris Lent (cooper!chris)
John Carter (nesac2!jec)
Chet Ramey (cwruecmp!cwruacm)
Larry Cipriani (danews!lvc)
Mike Meyer (eris!mwm)
derek terveer (herman!det)
Fred Fish (mcdsun!fnf)

Yet another convention, seen in some obscure places in the Unix sources:
a file named, e.g., "foo..c" is a header file written in C.  That is, to
distinguish a header file from a normal source file, use a double dot.
Could be useful in a multilingual environment.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jec@iuvax.UUCP (01/01/87)

    You forgot a few:

	.1 thru .8		manual pages (sections 1 thru 8)
	.l			local manual pages (manl)
	.n			new manual pages (mann)

     Sometimes they are:

	.[1-8]n and .[1-8]l

     Also, occassionally you see:

	.man

     And don't forget:

	.web			A Web file (Knuth's WEB system)

--
    III          Usenet:     iuvax!jec
UUU  I  UUU		     jec@indiana.csnet

meissner@dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) (01/01/87)

In article <7462@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Yet another convention, seen in some obscure places in the Unix sources:
> a file named, e.g., "foo..c" is a header file written in C.  That is, to
> distinguish a header file from a normal source file, use a double dot.
> Could be useful in a multilingual environment.

Or if you have C++ on your system, foo..c is the output of the C++ front
end that is then given to the regular C compiler to compile.
--
	Michael Meissner, Data General
	...mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!meissner

karl@haddock.UUCP (Karl Heuer) (01/09/87)

In article <783@dg_rtp.UUCP> meissner@dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) writes:
|In article <7462@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
|> Yet another convention, seen in some obscure places in the Unix sources:
|> a file named, e.g., "foo..c" is a header file written in C.
|
|Or if you have C++ on your system, foo..c is the output of the C++ front
|end that is then given to the regular C compiler to compile.

Actually, foo.i is the "correct" name, but foo..c is often used because some
versions of cc don't understand the .i suffix (though they will produce it).