[comp.unix.questions] Comments in /usr/lib/crontab

wmk@baskin.UUCP (Bill Kules) (12/17/86)

We are running UTX/32 (a 4.2bsd port) on a Gould computer.  Since our
crontab file is getting fairly large, I'd like to put comments in it.
Comments are not mentioned in our documentation (cron(8)), so I'm
asking the net... Is this possible, and if so what is the format?

Please respond by e-mail to ...seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!wmk.

Thanks in advancd,
--
					Bill Kules
					...seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!wmk

apn@nonvon.UUCP (apn) (12/25/86)

In article <306@baskin.UUCP>, wmk@baskin.UUCP (Bill Kules) writes:
> We are running UTX/32 (a 4.2bsd port) on a Gould computer.  Since our
> crontab file is getting fairly large, I'd like to put comments in it.
> Comments are not mentioned in our documentation (cron(8)), so I'm
> asking the net... Is this possible, and if so what is the format?

I don't know how portable this is, but it seems to work on my system
which is a 4.2bsd/v7 hybrid.

Precede comment line with a # character.. There may be a less restricted
syntax ( i.e. ![0-9\*] }

for example, an excerpt from my crontab file:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * ( /usr/lib/atrun )
# Run the calendar utility for those of us who have cal
# 20 1 * * * /bin/calendar -
# Weekly uucp cleanup
30 5 * * 6 ( /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.wk ) >>/usr/adm/uudemon.wk.clg 2>&1
# Daily uucp cleanup
10 4 * * * ( /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.day ) >>/usr/adm/uudemon.day.clg 2>&1

...etc

--

	UUCP:   ihnp4!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

		100 Drakes Landing Road
		GreenBrae, CA 94904
		+1 415 461 4655

{* War does not determine who is right or wrong........ only who is left   *}
{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}
{* System down for P.M. until further notice                               *}

chinn@apcisea.UUCP (David Chinn) (01/07/87)

In article <306@baskin.UUCP>, wmk@baskin.UUCP (Bill Kules) writes:
> We are running UTX/32 (a 4.2bsd port) on a Gould computer.  Since our
> crontab file is getting fairly large, I'd like to put comments in it.
> Comments are not mentioned in our documentation (cron(8)), so I'm
> asking the net... Is this possible, and if so what is the format?

# seems to work as a comment indicator when placed at the first
character position of the line.  This works with two unixes i've
worked with; Ultrix 32 from DEC and Domain/IX from Apollo.

...uw-beaver                                    david m. chinnn
    !tikal!pilchuck                             apollo computer inc
        !apcisea!chinn                          bellevue, washington

aditya@utx1.UUCP (01/12/87)

WE also have gould UTX/32 system and comments work fine and
can be started by #.
: