[net.cooks] hot pepper oil, etc.

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (06/16/85)

>	                   The basic substance of "hotness" in pepper oil
>and many other hot items is capsacin. Capsacin is lipid soluble, not water
>soluble. So water by itself is not very effective in removing it. Try some-
>thing with more lipid in it, like milk, or oil. This is also why yogurt is
>an effective quencher served at indian restaurants.

Very true!  That's why I like milk with Mexican food.  Not as classic
as beer, but if you are eating very hot stuff, milk clears the mouth
much more effectively.
--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

Send lawyers, guns, and money...
                                           -Warren Zevon

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (06/17/85)

In article <3041@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:

>>	                   The basic substance of "hotness" in pepper oil
>>and many other hot items is capsacin. Capsacin is lipid soluble, not water
>>soluble. So water by itself is not very effective in removing it. Try some-
>>thing with more lipid in it, like milk, or oil. This is also why yogurt is
>>an effective quencher served at indian restaurants.
>

>Very true!  That's why I like milk with Mexican food.  Not as classic
>as beer, but if you are eating very hot stuff, milk clears the mouth
>much more effectively.
>--
>
>                                     Sue Brezden

This is why I'm really bummed about Coke changing its formula!
The new stuff doesn't quite cut it when eating hot stuff...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (06/19/85)

> >	                   The basic substance of "hotness" in pepper oil
> >and many other hot items is capsacin. Capsacin is lipid soluble, not water
> >soluble. So water by itself is not very effective in removing it. Try some-
> >thing with more lipid in it, like milk, or oil. This is also why yogurt is
> >an effective quencher served at indian restaurants.
> Very true!  That's why I like milk with Mexican food.  Not as classic
> as beer, but if you are eating very hot stuff, milk clears the mouth
> much more effectively.
>                                      Sue Brezden
This month's Scientific American has a review in the book section of what
appears to be a contemporary classic on peppers (for shame!  I have forgotten
the author's name; she is a chemist, artist, gardener and cook in Texas).
She figured out that 1 part household bleach to 5 parts water should remove
and destroy any capsacin on your hands (be sure to rinse well afterwards).
I plan on getting the book.
For oral antidotes to excessive pepper, I recall the cure for aji I found
in a small Peruvian restaurant.  Aji is a sauce, apparently made of pureed
very hot peppers ("ah-HEE" was probably the first sound anyone coming in
contact with them made, thereby giving the pepper and the sauce their name).
It is orangish in color, and my first try of five drops on my entire dinner
was way too much.  Back to the point... they also served some cookies called
"alfajores" (sp?), consisting of two shortbread-like disks sandwiching a
layer of caramelized condensed milk (it looked kind of like translucent
peanut butter, but they assured me that it was slowly heated condensed milk,
which browns and thickens).  The starchy, oily (lipids!) cookies stopped the
burning sensation in a matter of a minute or two.  SO try some shortbread
the next time you wish you had had a lighter hand with the peppers.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (06/29/85)

> ... they also served some cookies called
> "alfajores" (sp?), consisting of two shortbread-like disks sandwiching a
> layer of caramelized condensed milk (it looked kind of like translucent
> peanut butter, but they assured me that it was slowly heated condensed milk,
> which browns and thickens).
>
> Nemo

To make the carmelized milk, take a can of sweetened condensed milk, and
submerge it unopened in simmering water.  Keep it there for four hours.
The can must remain covered at all times; if you let the water boil away,
the can could explode.

After four hours, remove the can and let it cool.  Inside will be a very
thick caramel sauce.  It's great on ice cream.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff