[comp.unix.questions] 4.3 <-> 4.2 udp

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (12/30/86)

After I brought up 4.3bsd and Ultrix 1.2, rwho/ruptime to our 4.2bsd
based machines broke.  From 4.2 to 4.3 works ok, however, and the 4.2
machines can see each other.

What changes are needed to have 4.3 based machines seen by the 4.2 ones?

Sorry if this has been discussed before; we were away from netnews for
about 6 weeks back in September/October.

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/01/87)

In article <896@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>After I brought up 4.3bsd and Ultrix 1.2, rwho/ruptime to our 4.2bsd
>based machines broke. ...  What changes are needed to have 4.3 based
>machines seen by the 4.2 ones?

The best change is to bring up 4.3 on the 4.2 machines.  Until then,
`ifconfig <ethernet-interface> inet broadcast 0.0.0.0' suffices to
make 4.3 use the old, wrong all-zeroes broadcast address.

Is this not mentioned in the 4.3 system manager's documentation?
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (01/11/87)

In article <896@ulowell.UUCP>, page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
> After I brought up 4.3bsd and Ultrix 1.2, rwho/ruptime to our 4.2bsd
> based machines broke.  From 4.2 to 4.3 works ok, however, and the 4.2
> machines can see each other.

> What changes are needed to have 4.3 based machines seen by the 4.2
> ones?

In the ifconfig commands to start the 4.3 network interfaces what
broadcast value are you giving?  4.3, by default, uses the right thing:
a host number of all ones (but you can change it).  4.2 uses a host
number of all zeros (wrong, and you can't change it).  So for 4.2 and
4.3 to exchange broadcast packets you have to give a zero broadcast
address on the 4.3's ifconfig.  For example, our LAN uses 200.0.0.x
addresses, and the 4.3 ifconfig reads

ifconfig de0 inet `hostname` up -trailers broadcast 200.0

If this isn't it I dunno.  Our 4.3 VAXen seem to speak rwho to our Suns
and Ultrix machines just fine, so it's nothing fundamental.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

lear@aramis.UUCP (01/18/87)

One thing I understand that 4.3 does that 4.2 doesn't do is udp
checksumming.  Could this be the cause of some problem?

					...eliot
--

[lear@rutgers.rutgers.edu]
[{harvard|pyrnj|seismo|ihnp4}!rutgers!lear]