[comp.unix.questions] Primix

PAAAAA7%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (01/13/87)

Are there any brave, nay, foolish, souls running Prime's version
of Unix? I would like to discuss the humor of this with any
party interested.
Rich
<PAAAAA7@CALSTATE>

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (01/14/87)

Yes, I just spent 6 months of my life porting MAGIC, Berkeley's VLSI design
tool, from a VAX running 4.2BSD to a 9955 running PRIMIX.  It builds character!
Actually, it was a fascinating exercise in portability, and as for PRIMIX,
Prime's System V port running on top of PRIMOS, well, it's like Johnson's dog
walking on its hind legs: it's amazing that it works at all!  Still, all the
problems I came across in PRIMIX seemed fairly tractable; nothing that an
infusion of documentation and people and money couldn't cure (OK, a different
machine architecture would be nice, too... :-)).

PRIME's C compiler, a package developed separately from PRIMIX, doesn't
generate the fastest code right now, but it seems pretty bullet-proof;
we ran into remarkably few bugs in the compiler and libraries.  Their
PRIMOS debugger (which can be used for PRIMIX programs, with some restrictions)
is superb; it puts attempts like "dbx" to shame.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

harry@uw-atm.UUCP (Harry Edmon) (01/16/87)

In article <2296@brl-adm.ARPA>, PAAAAA7%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
> Are there any brave, nay, foolish, souls running Prime's version
> of Unix? I would like to discuss the humor of this with any
> party interested.
> Rich
> <PAAAAA7@CALSTATE>

Yea, verily.  We have been running Primix since February 1986 and are currently
running rev 1.3.1.  Hopefully, rev 2.0 will be better.  I find it very difficult
to port software from other Unix machines to Primix (although I have got news 2.11
and elm running).  The C compiler is slow in Primix, but significantly faster
(over twice as fast) in the native OS (Primos).  There are numerous bugs in the
system and the Primix monitor does bomb out from time to time (hopefully, this will
be fixed at rev 2.0 when the monitor becomes part of the Primos kernel rather
than a seperate process).

I just wish that I could hook up my Prime to Ethernet and run TCP/IP!!!!!!
--
     Harry Edmon                         UUCP:   uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!harry
     (206) 543-0547                      BITNET: 24440@UWACDC

doug@arcsun.UUCP (Doug Konkin) (01/20/87)

Two things about Primix v2.0, assuming that I can trust what I have been told;

- Primix v2.0 will be *lots* faster *if* you have a machine with a
the 'IX' microcode. The figures that I have heard and seen are ~10
times faster for some of the common operations. The C compiler is
being fixed to look like every other C compiler on the earth (ie.
the 8th bit business is being fixed.)

- TCP/IP on Ethernet is coming soon to a dealer near you -- I have
the announcement and software description sheet on my desk. I think
that the time frame is Summertime (song intro here for someone).

We have Primix as well, but it resides on a venerable 750 (no IX
microcode) and hasn't gotten much of a workout. I do think that the
new version will be a real improvement for those that can take
advantage of it.

Doug Konkin
Alberta Research Council
Calgary, Alberta