[net.cooks] Summer Meals

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (06/02/85)

In article <485@hou2g.UUCP> adw@hou2g.UUCP (A.WILLIAMS) writes:
>Does anyone have any dishes that they cook only in the summer as light
>meals.  It's kind of hard to eat a lot of hot meals during the summer
>months.  Are there any salad recipes out there that can be eaten as
>the entire meal?

Try making a Farmer's Salad.

To do this, make an ordinary green salad with lettuce, tomatoes,
radishes, etc. and then add for a large bowl full about 1 - 1 1/2 cups
of cottage cheese and 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sour cream.  Salt and pepper
to taste.   The choice of creamed cottage cheese or dry curd is up to
you.  Serve with a heavy white, rye or pumpernickel bread.

Still one of my favourite cold meals for hot summer days.

D.Katz

b2@magic.UUCP (06/09/85)

> >Does anyone have any dishes that they cook only in the summer as light
> >meals.... Are there any salad recipes out there that can be eaten as
> >the entire meal?

     How about a salade Nicoise?

     1 c. vinaigrette  (any oil & vinegar dressing will do)
     1 lb. new potatoes
     1 lb. green beans
     3 ripe tomatoes, peeled or not, as you prefer
     3 hard-boiled eggs
     1 head lettuce, washed and torn up
     1/2 c. black olives
     1 6.5 oz. can tuna, well drained
     chopped parsley

     Cook the new potatoes, slice them, and toss them gently with 1/4 cup
vinaigrette.  Steam the green beans, and toss them with 2 or 3 tablespoons
vinaigrette.  Quarter the tomatoes and the eggs.  When the potatoes and
green beans are cool (don't refrigerate them), arrange the lettuce on a
large platter.  Pile the potatoes in the middle and heap the green beans
on either end.  Arrange the tomatoes and eggs around the edge.  Scatter
the olives and the tuna over the salad.  Sprinkle the whole thing with the
parsley and serve with the rest of the vinaigrette.  About six servings.

     The salad is very pretty served this way, but an easier way to do it is
to put everything together in one big bowl and toss.  Traditionally, salad
Nicoise contains anchovies, onions, and capers, too.  I don't like them, so
I leave them out.  The proportions are extremely flexible, and can be adjusted
up or down, depending on how many people are coming to dinner and how hungry
they're likely to be.  Vegetarians will omit the tuna, of course, and the
anchovies.

carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) (06/12/85)

>      How about a salade Nicoise?
>
>      1 c. vinaigrette  (any oil & vinegar dressing will do)
>      1 lb. new potatoes
>	etc. etc.
>
>      Cook the new potatoes, slice them, and toss them gently with 1/4 cup
> vinaigrette.

Life is much easier if you slice the potatoes first (use Cuisinart), rinse
them in cold water then boil them.  Much greater uniformity (they are all
the same thickness), less cooking time etc.  A truly yummy dish that also
needs anchovies to taste.

Carl

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (06/25/85)

> >      How about a salade Nicoise?
> >
> >      1 c. vinaigrette  (any oil & vinegar dressing will do)
> >      1 lb. new potatoes
> >	etc. etc.
> >
> >      Cook the new potatoes, slice them, and toss them gently with 1/4 cup
> > vinaigrette.
>
> Life is much easier if you slice the potatoes first (use Cuisinart), rinse
> them in cold water then boil them.  Much greater uniformity (they are all
> the same thickness), less cooking time etc.  A truly yummy dish that also
> needs anchovies to taste.
>
> Carl

What about olives?  Tuna fish?  (That's how they do it in the Camargue.)
Raisins for those who are already carrot-salad eaters, or asparagus to
complement the potatoes?  (I don't like anchovies much).

              Dawn Sharon
              (dsf/speaker)

djw@qumix.UUCP (David Wright) (07/02/85)

Since peaches are beginning to come into season, here is a recipe
for chilled peach soup. This can be served as a soup or as a dessert.

CHILLED PEACH SOUP

Ingedients:

	1 1/2 cups Water
	4 Cloves
	3/4 cup Sugar
	1 stick Cinnamon, broken into pieces
	2 tbls Cornstarch, diluted with 1/4 cup Water
	1 1/2 cups Dry White Wine
	4 lbs Peaches, with peels
	Blueberries, as a garnish
	Whipped Cream, as a garnish

1. Place water, cloves, sugar and cinnamon in a soup pot. Bring to a
   boil and simmer slowly for 10 minutes.

2. Add the diluted cornstarch and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly
   with a whisk, immediately remove pot from heat and let cool.
   Keep stirring.

3. When cold, add the wine to the syrup mixture and refrigerate.

4. Puree the beaches and add to the syrup.

5. Refrigerate overnight, before serving.

6. Garnish with blueberries and a dollop of whipped cream.