[comp.unix.questions] SHL LAYERS and Korn shell

pls@sortac.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <517@csun.UUCP> aeusemrs@csun.UUCP (Mike Stump) writes:
>        ...            For some odd reason our copy
>of Korn Shell does not want to seem to run under shl,
>(anybody want to comment?) but Bourne Shell, runs fine.
>--
>Mike Stump, Cal State Univ, Northridge Comp Sci Department
>uucp: {sdcrdcf, ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!aeusemrs

You did not say what processor your UNIX SVR2 is on, but for what it's
worth, we discovered that for Korn shell to work properly under shl on
our 3B15 it was necessary to comment out the line

	"control(fd,TCXONC,1);".

near line 304 in Korn shell's "sh/edit.c".  Since this was not necessary
on our 3B20 I would tend to call the above a work-around for a bug in
the 3B15 vpmsxt driver (we actually "#ifndef u3b15"'ed out the above line).
Both processors are running SVR2.1.

Pat Sullivan - {akgua|ihnp4}!sortac!pls - voice 404-257-7382

jim@ltuxa.UUCP (01/28/87)

I have been using ksh 3.0 since Dave Korn sent it out last June.
I have it running on AT&T 3B20S's with System V Release 2 version 2
 and AT&T 3B2 computers running System V Release 2.0.5.

I use shell layers extensively and have ksh as my default shell and
have had no problems, except for a minor one on my 3B2 which causes
some junk characters to be spit at the terminal IF it is the
console, AND the shell layer being switched to is named "root:".

I sent mail to dgk asking about the shell layers code in ksh and he said to
compile and run ksh WITHOUT the shell layers code and go ahead and use it
with shell layers, which I have done. He said that the shell layers code was not
working correctly and not to use it.

	AT&T Corporate Ed. & Trng.	Jim Davis  S.A.
        1195 Summerhill Drive		(312) 971-5180
        Lisle, Il 60532-3190 		ihnp4!ltuxa!jim