[comp.unix.questions] uucp {bugs,features}

dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) (01/09/87)

I have some questions about uucp.  Here goes:

	1.  Why do files that are to be sent by uucp have to have read
	access by "other", even if they are owned by uucp?

	2.  Why does uucp create files with mode 666, regardless of their
	mode on the original machine?

	3.  Why does uucp refuse to forward files to non-public directories?
	Here's the picture:

		A <---> B <---> C

	I can send files from A to any writable directory on B, but if I try
	to send them to something other than uucppublic on C uucp barfs and
	says "can't forward to non-public directory".  Note that this is an
	immediate message, so it isn't checking to see if the remote machine
	minds.

If it matters, I am using HP-UX (System V with added stuff) on an HP 9000.

						Dale McCluskey

						{hplabs,ihnp4}!hpfcla!dalem

usenet@soma.bcm.tmc.edu (USENET maintenance) (01/19/87)

In article <3700001@hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:
>I have some questions about uucp.  Here goes:
>
>	1.  Why do files that are to be sent by uucp have to have read
>	access by "other", even if they are owned by uucp?
UUCP does not know who to chown the files copied to once the copy is complete.
So, it owns them but allows everyone to read them so the person the files were
meant for can get them. Not very secure, but that's the biz.

>	2.  Why does uucp create files with mode 666, regardless of their
>	mode on the original machine?
The answer above applies here, too. I don't think there is a version of
UUCP that allows the mode of the copied file to be set by uucp once the
copy is complete.

>	3.  Why does uucp refuse to forward files to non-public directories?
This restriction is set by the uucp manager (or system manager) in the
/usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE file. UUCP can be told to do this. Most people don't
want to let uucp do this for security reasons. [It is a different file under
HoneyDanBer UUCP... I think it is called /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions, but I am
not sure.]
>						Dale McCluskey
>
>						{hplabs,ihnp4}!hpfcla!dalem

Stan	     uucp:{shell,rice,cuae2}!soma!sob       Opinions expressed here
Olan         domain:sob@rice.edu or sob@soma.bcm.tmc.edu   are ONLY mine &
Barber       CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)790-9004               noone else's.

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/21/87)

In article <3700001@hpfcph.HP.COM> Dale McCluskey asks some good questions:

>If it matters, I am using HP-UX (System V with added stuff) on an HP 9000.

It matters. That means you are using either stock System V or SVR2 UUCP.

>	1.  Why do files that are to be sent by uucp have to have read
>	access by "other", even if they are owned by uucp?

It could be argued that uucp(1) is excessively paranoid about permissions, but
it's really just lazy. Remember that UUCP is largely a batch-type operation.
The deamon that executes the copy will probably run under a different UID than
the user who made the request. These and other cases lead to many situations
where UUCP cannot read the file unless it has at least 444 permissions.

Rather than checking for all the possible conditions, uucp(1) simply assumes
that if "read other" is permitted, then the daemons will be guaranteed access
to the file no matter what. Of course, this supposedly helpful check does not
detect whether the daemon has execute permission on the directory tree. It
also means that many copies that do not really need "read other" are refused.

HoneyDanBer does the checks the right way, so "read other" is insisted upon
only when it's actually needed.

>	2.  Why does uucp create files with mode 666, regardless of their
>	mode on the original machine?

Actually, execute modes *are* preserved, but you are correct that read and
write modes are not. Since UUCP will be the owner of the copy, 666 modes are
deemed necessary for anyone other than UUCP to be able to read and write the
file. Making UUCP get the ownership correct would require a massive overhaul
of the code.

>	3.  Why does uucp refuse to forward files to non-public directories?
>	Here's the picture:
>
>		A <---> B <---> C

Look in the uucp(1) man page. This is an arbitrary restriction of SVR2 uucp.
It simply will not let you send a file more than one hop away (AT&T calls this
"forwarding") to any directory other than uucppublic. I have been unable to
fathom why this restriction is imposed, although it's wired into the UUCP JCL
file format so I suppose it's too late to change now.

Note forwarding won't work at all unless all machines on the chain are running
the same flavor of UUCP. SVR2, Berkeley, and HoneyDanBer each use different
and incompatible techniques. (Yes, I know, in BSD you have to use uusend(1).)

<csg>

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <1440@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>Note forwarding won't work at all unless all machines on the chain are running
>the same flavor of UUCP. SVR2, Berkeley, and HoneyDanBer each use different
>and incompatible techniques.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I was under the impression
that AT&T's "Basic Networking Utilities" (SVR2 UUCP) was HoneyDanBer.
Could someone who knows for sure clarify this?

pnessutt@nis.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <5560@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <1440@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>Note forwarding won't work at all unless all machines on the chain are running
>>the same flavor of UUCP. SVR2, Berkeley, and HoneyDanBer each use different
>>and incompatible techniques.
>
>Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I was under the impression
>that AT&T's "Basic Networking Utilities" (SVR2 UUCP) was HoneyDanBer.
>Could someone who knows for sure clarify this?

The "Basic Networking Utilities" that was distributed with our AT&T
3B2-400 was HoneyDanber UUCP.  Other 3B sites that I spoke with
confirmed that their versions of UUCP were also HDBUUCP.  The UUCP that
we received with our new NCR Tower machines is not HDBUUCP though.

I hope this can be of some help...

--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494

guy@gorodish.UUCP (01/26/87)

>Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I was under the impression
>that AT&T's "Basic Networking Utilities" (SVR2 UUCP) was HoneyDanBer.
>Could someone who knows for sure clarify this?

BNU UUCP is Honey DanBer; however, BNU UUCP is not (VAX) SVR2
("Version 1") UUCP.  (VAX) SVR2 ("Version 1") comes with a UUCP that
predates HoneyDanBer.  (Who knows *what* 3B<fill-in-the-blank> SVR2
does?  Previous postings have indicated that assuming that because
something is true of VAX SVR2 that it will be true of 3B SVR2, or
vice versa, is dangerous.)

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (01/27/87)

:
:Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I was under the impression
:that AT&T's "Basic Networking Utilities" (SVR2 UUCP) was HoneyDanBer.
:Could someone who knows for sure clarify this?

	SVR2 on a 3b machine comes with HoneyDanBer. My understanding is
that both are AT&T products but that HDB is not PART of SVR2.  That is,
if you purchase it from another manufacturer (Motorola for instance), you
will not get HDB.  It would be up to the individual manufacturer as to
whether they wish to port HDB to their hardware and release it.  Some may,
some may not.
--
=======================-->  Rebel or be oppressed!  <--=======================
Michael R. Wayne           Working at (but not employed by) Ford Motor Company

paul@devon.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <5560@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I was under the impression
> that AT&T's "Basic Networking Utilities" (SVR2 UUCP) was HoneyDanBer.
> Could someone who knows for sure clarify this?

I could also be wrong, but is was my understanding that SVr2 was
equipped with ATT UUCP, and that HDBUUCP was provided on SVr3.

-paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	 UUCP: {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul
Devon Computer Services  COMPUSERVE: 76176,502

guy@gorodish.UUCP (01/30/87)

>I could also be wrong, but is was my understanding that SVr2 was
>equipped with ATT UUCP, and that HDBUUCP was provided on SVr3.

Well, I'm not sure what "ATT UUCP" means - a UUCP based on AT&T code?
The V7, S3, S5, 4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, and HDB ones are all based on AT&T
code, so they're all "ATT UUCP" by that definition.  In fact, they're
all descended from the V7 one.

S5R2 didn't come with HDB; S5R3 does.  I think HDB was available for
S5R2 as part of the "Basic Networking Utilities" package, which I
think was an add-on package.  I don't know how S5R3 is packaged in
this case; the answer probably depends on whether you're talking
about buying source or a binary distribution for some particular
machine.

che@pbhye.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <12401@sun.uucp> guy@sun.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>>I could also be wrong, but is was my understanding that SVr2 was
>>equipped with ATT UUCP, and that HDBUUCP was provided on SVr3.
>S5R2 as part of the "Basic Networking Utilities" package, which I
>think was an add-on package.

The 3B2 was a "transition" system in the process of getting to the
current situation, HDB being the only version of uucp included in
the AT&T 3B2 BNU package available from S5R2.(?) on.  With the forwarding
problems we had through intermediate systems with our combo of "old" and
HDB uucp, we think uucp is a load of fun!  Keeps system administrators
off the streets.
--
Mitch Che	Pacific Bell			"I used to be a translator